Prolapse of the Uterus

Posted , 3 users are following.

I 've just been diagnosed with a prolapse of the uterus.  Not sure at what stage it is but I went to the doctors thinking I Had a Barthonlini cyst as the things was an egg shape and quite large. I saw a locum doctor who is going to ask one of the practice doctors if they can fit a pessary until I get to see a gynacologist.  I understand the waiting list for the gyni doctor is about 2 months.  What I would like to know other than what is the best course of action from here re ops etc. is, is it o.k. to still go swimming.  I of course forgot to ask having waited quite awhile in the surgery and it's closed this afternoon.  I had planned to go swimming tomorrow and I know I can ring the surgery first thing tomorrow and ask but it is how carrying on with normal activities has affected others?  My symptoms are a nipping sensation / burning that seems to radiate to all that area so that I feel I need to sit in an ice cold bath.  Also low back ache after being on my feet / walking for awhile. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello marianne. I've just read your post from 5 months ago. Thought I'd ask how things were now before answering because my response may not be relevant anymore.
    • Posted

Hello and thank you for asking / replying.  I have since found out that it is my bladder and vagina wall that has collapsed. So it's classed as a cytocele grade 2.  I had 3 hospital visits in quite a short time scale.  End of October to middle of December.  I have now got a date to go in to hospital for a repair towards the end of February.  What I was told they are intending to do is to cut out part of my vagina wall put some stitiches to hold my bladder up then cauterise the two ends of my vagina wall together again.  Not sure how this will be but I can't fault the staff at the hospital to date.  I feel I have excellent service.  I was told to expect to a hospital stay of 2 to 3 nights.  As I have not really been in hospital before it will be a new experience for me.  Knowing exactly what and how much to take in with me but I guess I will find out once I am there! 
    • Posted

Hello. I'm pleased things have moved on. I had a posterior repair 4 years ago and have had no problems since. I was in hospital 2 nights following the surgery and off work for about 12 weeks. However not everyone is off as long as that. It depends on your job. Then there's no heavy lifting for 6 months. I hope everything goes well. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback.  I hadn't realised there was no heavy lifting for 6 months.  I had also thought you just had to take it easy, no driving etc for 6 weeks?  Not sure how things will work out as living alone, doing gardening / cutting lawns is down to me.  I also find myself wondering what to take in to hospital. Until last night it never occurred to me that I would perhaps have to take a towel!  As you can tell I've been very lucky in the past thus have really no experience of staying in the place.  There really should be more notices in surgeries etc on the importance of PF exercises as even young people today don't seem to be aware of their importance.
  • Posted

Hi there, I was told I have a prolapse before Xmas, I don't know what sort, I'm waiting for hospital appointment in April, it didn't occur to me to moderate my activities, I've just been carrying on best I can, did you get an answer about swimming? I went yesterday and now I'm in agony with dragging pains in my back, don't know if it's prolapse or something else! Good luck with your hospital stay, I've been in hospital more times than I care to mention and I don't remember taking my own towel!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.