prolapse repaired with mesh

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2013 in 2014 had prolapse and was repaired with mesh sling, 2015 felt lump was returning!!! but couldnt face another op.  Now waiting to see if  the mesh has to be removed!!!! omg the thought of it is bad enough, apparently has to be done UCH - Has anyone had mesh problems/removal 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Was it a bladder repair you had with mesh sling? The TVT procedure? I had that done in 2014 and have had no problems with regard to the procedure i.e. incontinence issues they are 100% cured but the bladder prolapse did return after 6 months and I've just been putting up wit it since 2014 as I can't face anymore surgery. Plus there is every chance it would fail again. Why do you need to have the mesh removed?

• Posted

having the mesh removed is the worst case scenario.  I find out more next wednesday, ct scan is this friday.  Did you have the mesh? There are two kinds and one is in the news for failing,  How are you coping with the prolapse, how does it affect your day to day activities.  I am finding if Im on my feet for too long i feel like my insides are falling out!! I have been putting off surgery but I think it will only get worse with age 

• Posted

Whats UCH anyway? Yes I've got mesh. The dodgy mesh that caused problems was long done away with by the time I had mine in 2015. Years before. I can't imagine yours is it as you've had it in well after the controversy. I'm not too sure a CT scan will even show much. What did they find on vaginal examination? The examining Dr. would be able to see if there is further anterior prolapse or a new posterior prolapse?

• Posted

Yes my op was one of the last to be done in Scotland before the mesh was banned. Fortunately I have had no issues so far. My only issues are with the prolapses I have. I have both bladder and bowel and by the end of a working day it's just very uncomfortable rather than painful. I am only 44 and it's a lot to put up with but I dread the thought of more surgery that's only going to fail anyway possibly. I see the consultant again in November. 

• Posted

Just because you've got another lump, why does that mean the mesh has to be removed? Surely it's a new prolapse as in posterior one on other wall? I reckon there's a lot to be said with hysterectomies where uterus is basically yanked down and out vag leading to collapses of everything else around it. It seems a barbaric traumatic thing to do in such a delicate area. It solves one problem to just create a raft of others to follow. I wonder if a pHd student is doing research on the consequences of the various methods. I wouldn't have thought the mesh needs removal unless the actual mesh is being rejected by the body causing urinary symptoms and loads of pain. 

• Posted

Hi I dont have lots of pain, but more discomfort like insides falling out!!!Lots of wee infections, feeling like always need to go but dont! CT scan on Friday and consultant next Wednesday, so not long to wait .  I agree hopefully there are many looking into the use of the mesh as well 
  • Posted

The other thing is that the mesh isn't always put in correctly. Maybe yours is too tight. Also some Surgeons stitched the ends in place which also shouldn't be done. I'm guessing yours was put in by a Urogynaecologist?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.