Prolapse returned 18 months after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey ladies, but of advice please!

i have a long history of pelvic surgery, I had a hysterectomy  about 20 years ago due to uterine prolapse. A couple of years later I had a bladder repair.

18 months ago I had surgery for vaginal vault prolapse with posterier repair. I was told I had mild bladder prolapse too, but this wasn't fixed as I was told there would be too much surgery done, however the bladder had been pulled up when the vaginal vault was repaired.

i have felt since November that something wasn't right at all, I am having lots of bladder issues. Went to the GP on Friday and was examined and she could see the prolapse after asking me to cough, without actually examining me. On examination I was told I had vaginal vault prolapse again as well as the bladder. I was told it was a severe prolapse and have been referred back to the surgeon who saw me 18 months ago.

My question is, am I suitable for a pessary to be fitted? I don't want any more surgery down there, I start a new job after Easter and don't want to start telling them I need time off for surgery!

i have read a lot about pessaries but I've read they are not suitable for ladies who have had hysterectomy or any prior pelvic surgery. I've had 3 lots of surgery done so does this mean pessaries won't work for me??

any advice would be great!!!

Thanks all,

Lorraine x

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have known ladies successfully have a pessary fitted after pelvic floor surgery although it's often trial and error but with the right support and a lot of patience (yours and the doctor/nurse) there's no reason why it won't work for you.

• Posted

You can have a partial (sub total) hysterectomy where the cervix is left.
    • Posted

I had total hysterectomy (cervix removed) and gellhorn pessary is fine. Some other styles of pessary would not be suitable though.
  • Posted

Hi Lorriane, i had hysterectomy ( large fibroids) and anterior repair for prolapse in Oct 2014. By Jan 2015 the prolapse was back, anterior and posterior. I am 57 years old and coping well with a pessary. Now also some vault prolapse.

I tried, ring, shelf and cube but have the gellhorn pessary now which works well and i can take it out myself to clean and for when hubby and i are intimate.

​Still being monitored for surgery if needed but as they seemed to think the only option was mesh i am putting it off as long as possible.

​Still have to be careful with lifting and standing for long periods but on the whole am active and coping well.

​Hope you get some answers and do not worry if first pessary does not work, we ae all different and it takes trial and error to find the one which suits you.

​Ruth x

• Posted

Thank you for the responses.

i am glad to hear that it's not impossible to have a pessary fitted!

Thanks Ruth for the advice on the Gellhorn. I think that's the only one that will work for me, as I keep 'caving in' and need something very strong to keep it all up there. I thought sex was impossible, I didn't realise you can remove this yourself when needed.

i will see my urogynae and ask to try pessaries.

Thanks again,

Lorraine

• Posted

It takes a bit of practice to get in and out but yes it is possible. Whereabouts are you? UK?

And now I have the right pessary most of the time I can go about my daily life and not know it is there. I am careful not to get constipated.

Good luck. Ruth

• Posted

Yes I'm in South London.

I am 46 so still want an active sex life with my partner. Not very sexy when I keep prolapsing though!! 

I just dont want to go through the pain of surgery again, when it could all go wrong a year later!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.