Prolapse sling surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I had prolapse sling surgery over 3 months ago. I started to get pain around where the sling is after about 6 weeks. It is quite painful at times. I also have constant cystitis and have been on 3 antibiotics up to now. As soon as I stop it comes back I have bladder urgency too I am wondering if the pain is because I am still healing The earliest I can see the surgeon is the end of April. I just wonder if all this is normal. I would love to hear from others who are experiencing similar Feeling fed up.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a different type of repair (sacrospinous hysteropexy) but it took me at least 6 months to feel anywhere resembling normal. Worst for me was around the 7 week mark then again around the 12 week mark. I've still got niggles and pulling feelings especially if I over do things but overall it's getting better. I got a bit of leakage started coming back after 4 months doc says that was because the larger stitches were listening/dissolving internally . I also get terrible cystitis every month but only for a day or two a month. I use cystocalm sachets from Wilkos for £1 or do and if I take two together in s bottle of water it clears it in a couple of hours. Doctor told me at my check up last month that a prolapse repair doesn't repair bladder problems just prolapse ones but coincidentally it sometimes helps. I drink at least 1 pint of water a day and cut out almost all caffeine as doctor says caffeine if the biggest culprit in bladder problems especially urgency . Hope u feel better soon xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. The surgeon gave me the impression that all would be well after 6 weeks. I find if I walk for a while when I stop I get cramps in the area. I worry that this isn't going to go away. The pain seems eo ease when I rest but life doesn't allow rest all the time The cystitis is wearing as I feel ill with it. I hope you are right and this gets better

• Posted

I had my op in May last year and it was Xmas before I was really back on my feet again and I'm a relatively fit 45 year old. It's only people who have had prolapse repairs that really know how much physically and emotionally it affects you. I have broken down crying on many occasions after the surgery because I just felt I wasn't getting back on my feet as quickly as I had expected and it was very frustrating. I still get pain in my buttock and a dragging feeling in my vagina if I overdo things or over exert myself it's just your body's way of telling you to slow down as you've been through a lot. If it was a cut or a burn or a plaster cast everyone else could see everyone would be offering support. I'm sure you will see a big difference in another couple of months x

• Posted

Thank you for your positive reply. You have given me great hope.
    • Posted

I'm 6 months out, last week I had a episode where I felt as if I had been kicked by horse. It lasted for day and part of night. Weird how it takes much longer. Glad that you ladies share, otherwise we would think something wrong!

As the doctors say 6 weeks, which is totally not true.

Thanks.

• Posted

A lot of consultants seem to think everything will be ok over 6 weeks, I really don't know how they can say this when recovery takes much longer and every woman is different anyway. Some may be ok after 6 weeks but nobody even the most experienced urogynaecologist can say for certain. Take each day as it comes and don't worry if you aren't recovering at the same rate as someone else on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.