prolapse surgery 4 weeks ago, when do i go back to work???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 48 yrs old and had repair of prolapsed bladder,large and small bowel. I have only just stopped bleeding and feel so tired.I have a cream coloured discharge and alot of white creamy stuff in my vagina(when i had a look with a mirror ) I still have pain in my perineum and anus and find sitting or standing for long periods uncomfortable and tiring.  I am supposed to go back to work in a weeks time. That means I've had 4 weeks to recover.As much as I love my job and need money, i am worried its too soon and I'll end up exhausted. Can anyone advise me on what I should do and how to ask the doctor for more time off. She didn't seem interested in giving me more time off when we last spoke (that was last week) Please help. I am at a loss as to know how to do this. Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

4 weeks !!! Is that all,it's meant to be at least 6 and 12 realistically. You've had major surgery here and are meant to just go back to what you were doing before...Sorry I don't think so. Go back to your doc and tell her that it is generally recommended at least 12 weeks recovery time. read back over this forum to see how long most of us ladies have taken before we feel anywhere near well enough to be back to normal duties. Good luck. Take care of yourself and get as much rest as possible

• Posted

Hi Veronica I had Anteria and Posteria repair with a TVT fitted I am post 2 weeks and my doctor has give me a sick note for 8 weeks he wouldn't give me one for any less and then he is going to review me then so may need another 4 weeks on top so 4 weeks is to soon x

• Posted

Hi Veronica,

I'm 6.5 weeks post op and still don't feel ready for work. The hospital told me 12 weeks off work and 6 months for full recovery. I too had the white creamy stuff in my vagina and still have a little bit although it's less than it was (I too looked with a mirror). My aching has only just started to subside and I still have mild stinging underneath. People on the forum are saying 8 weeks seems to be a bit of a turning point. You really do need to rest so I wouldn't hesitate in going back to the doctors for a sick note. I'm usually so active and hate sitting down but it really is the only thing that helps. Good luck, hope things improve.

Take care

• Posted

I highly concur with the girls here. Don't even think about anything until 8 weeks has past. In fact, I heard on here when I first came 'take 100 days to recover and you'll not look back'. Very good advice. The fact that you're asking that very question instantly tells me you're not ready yet, not by a mile.

Treat yourself kindly, go into your doctors surgery and tell *them* you're not ready. You don't ask for permission to return until you're convinced it's the right time to go back. You'll know when that is, trust me. And trust in yourself. Big love darling, now go and make that appointment with the doc.

Meanwhile, there's netflix xx 😉

• Posted

Thank you everyone that replied to me. You all gave me the confidence to tell my doctor what I need . Thank you so much.  I have been to my Doctor and unfortunately I have an infection in my Posteria  wound.  I have had swabs taken and now I am on Antibiotics and will be going in to see my Dr every few days to make sure we are on top of this. I do not have a fever ,which is interesting, I just feel generally unwell, tired,and I  now  have a creamy  green smelly discharge and a constant headache. I have been give another 4 weeks off work while I recover. I am staying positive because I know I am in such a better place with a more normal bladder and bowel function.I will get over this infection and be a much healthier version of myself in a little while. Thank you all so much for you kindness. I have found being on this site so comforting and helpful. My best wishes to you all from Bundaberg Australia. cheers.
  • Posted

Well thank goodness your doc listened to you and you are finally getting sorted out.I too had an infection about 4 weeks post op and felt pretty crap for a couple of weeks.It will get better though even if it doesn't seem like it right now. I thought I'd never be right again and even though I still get tired and the odd niggle down below am much better than I was.very best wishes from Tring,Hertfordshire England.which is very cold tonight. Hope it's warmer where you are xx

• Posted

Hi Veronica

yes I also had an infection which out me back a week in recovery so bear that in mind when you calculate recovery weeks as it takes off a week of progress.

Glad you're getting seen on a regular basis as that alone can put the old mind at rest, nicely.

Best wishes for a generous healing in your future, oh and one thing I was recommended whilst using antibiotics (as I took 2 types together to cure my infection) was to cut out sugar and sweet foods as that can feed candida when your resistance is lowered by the drugs.

The result of that action is now I don't eat any sugary foods and I've lost a stone in weight.

happy healing Veronica

from Patsy in East Sussex, UK

• Posted

T
    • Posted

Thank you all for your replies.I still have a Pus discharge and  I went  back to the Dr today and on examination she told me she can see a Sinus in my wound in the back wall of the vaqgina. so I am going back to the Gyne clinic at the hospital on monday (3 days time) to get checked out there.... Has any pne here ever experienced a sinus in their  wound after a repair. What is the usual procedure for this and how long does it take to get over this. I'm feeling frustrated and cranky....Bless you for listening.x
    • Posted

I am really hoping that someone who knows will reply to this. I have been having the white discharge and I haven't bled at all since 1.5 weeks, I am now 3 weeks and 2 days post op. I am having a lot of this white discharge. Is it from the disolvable stitches? I kind of think it may be infection. I thought that my stitches from my labia reduction were infected so my doc put me on an antibiotic for 1 week. The discharge started 3 days after I stopped the antibiotic. Will probably start taking it again until my appointment. I can't wear pads, I have always gotten a yeast infection from them. I find myself changing underwear 3-5 times per day and its so annoying!!!
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm now 7.5 weeks post op. I hardly had any bleeding but have had the white discharge you describe. It only seemed to start after about 3 weeks in. When I looked with a mirror I could actually see it. I think it may be from the stitches healing. Mine seems to have got better over this past week. I even tried taking an oral tablet for thrush in case it was that but I'm not convinced it was. Hopefully with time yours will improve too. if not maybe get an appointment with your doctor. I just wish the hospital would give us information on what to expect. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.