Prolapsed bladder post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, my name is Patti and I am new to this group.  I am 48yrs old and had surgery for my prolapsed bladder 12 days ago.  Things have been going okay. Have had pain, drainage ect. Yesterday however, I started to have intense burning in my vaginal opening and swelling.  Is this normal?  I'm really concerned and scared.  It's the weekend and am not sure if this is something to alarm the dr about or not.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patti, welcome!  My surgery was 10 weeks ago and as of today, I still have the burning off and on if  I do too much!  So I think you might be doing a little too much and your body is telling you to stop!  Does that make sense?  I must have pushed myself a little yesterday and today I feel so much burning, like in the beginning. ,have patience, it will pass if you give yourself lots and lots of down time.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for replying so,soon Barb.  It has, to say the least freaked me out a bit.  Do you happen to know if understand why there is so much burning?
  • Posted

Yes, my understanding is that all the tissue has been strained beyond belief during surgery and thus will take a long time to calm down. When we stand, gravity pulls and the tissue is pulled downward, so sitting, with legs up is best for healing.  Also, ice packs will definitely help!  Let me know how you're doing!  
  • Posted

Once again, thank you Barb! I wasn't sure if anyone would even respond. I did do stuff today and up until now had pretty much been lying around.  Which in turn drives me nuts. It started itching a bit yesterday and then the burning came on with a vengeance today. My Facebook us currently down but when it us back up I will definitely join.  So, not calling the dr until Monday sounds okay to you then?
    • Posted

You are most welcome!  I think unless there is excruciating pain or bleeding, try icing and staying low and see how that goes. It's your time to heal well!  Take care.....
  • Posted

Welcome and glad you are feeling better.  I had my surgery three months ago.  I felt the same way especailly when I over did it.  Your body is saying STOP lay down and no keep your feet up.  The most difficult thing to do is to go slow.  I am  back to work a month and I still feel exhausted in the afternoon.  You will learn to balance your time between sitting, standing, and walking.   I made sure I always got up every half hour to pee and walk five mins in the house.  Slow and steadying my dear. 
  • Posted

Thank you Sue, I feel so welcomed and assured this will get better. I was worried I pulled a stitch or something. There was a little bit of blood last night but it stopped.  I will listen to my new partners in crime. I shall put my feet up for now😁
  • Posted

Hi Patti. Hope things are starting to feel better. The advice all the other ladies have given is so important. You really do need to rest as much as possible. Your body certainly lets you know when you've done too much. I'm 10 weeks post op and it's still letting me know now when it's time to rest. Just to say also a couple of weeks after my surgery for posterior repair (bowel prolapse) I had the same burning and swelling and I actually had vaginal thrush so you may want to get this checked out. I took an oral tablet (fluconazole) and also drank plenty of cranberry juice and water and took a cranberry supplement.

Hope things improve. Take care smile

• Posted

Hi Patti. I am 16 days post op for a posterior repair so I don't know exactly how you feel, but from what I've read it sounds very normal.

Ice is always my go to for any type of Pain or swelling. I made some little ice pops for my bum after surgery and they were amazing. I used the single, very small popsicles put into a zip lock baggie, then put a condon on and put it up my bum. Sounds bad but it helped so much. You may not be able to put anything in your vaginal cavity so try cutting a sponge in thirds. Soak 1/3 in water. Squeeze out enough so that it is not dripping, Put it into a zio lock bag then freeze it and just put it on the outside. You may need to wrap it in a paper towel if it is too cold, but it won't drip so much because t is a sponge.

I hope that helps. Also please please don't do too much getting up and down or bending. Just try to keep your feet up as much as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.