Prolapsed bowel - distressing situation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am very distressed by the state of my prolapsed bowel which I have had for six years, and major surgery, performed August 2012 has failed to put it right.  All this time I have been opening my bowels about 22 times a day, I frequently had to keep a note for my hospital appointments, then about 2 years ago I requested I be put on a strong codeine, dihydrocodeine, as I discovered from when having them for an anal tear that the symptoms just disappeared, so on a regular course, the codeine "tell" my bottom, by sending a message to my brain, not to poo so often, the symptoms are about halved with two codeine a day, co codamol would NOT work however, not pure enough, so I regularly take these, but my poo is variant, often huge rabbit poos, rounded ones that resemble the consistency of hardish putty, then I get them where they are like very hard, flat, square or rectangular miniture coffins or pebbles, and then I get wet mounds, and sometimes it resembles some sort of cake I had consumed at Stonehenge festival back in 1979 and then recycled.

It is all very distressing and what makes it worse is about 8 months ago, when I developed a prolapsed bladder so that I now have the matching set, effectively, I have to digitally assist, effectively, as my anus closes up like a clamp, it remains stubbornly shut and I believe there is a diverticular pouch right near the entrance that is holding onto things in a most irregular fashion.

The surgery saw NO reduction in my bowel openings, and currently they are going to insert a "ring or pessary" to aid the prolapsed bladder, well I have no idea if this will help with the problems I am facing, including urinary incontenence, mildly, but have a telephone consultation with my GP tomorrow, and will ask if I would be allowed incontinence pads on prescription, at least, it is all very distressing particularly as I believe I have also developed some sort of arthritic condition such as arthritic psoriasis, I have it on my thumb and fingers currently and have for some time, which makes it painfully difficult and awkward and stiff to walk the 15 or so paces to the toilet in the mornings where being 57 I often need it in the night and certainly big time in the mornings after a broken nights sleep.

I find all this very distressing, as harp back to my younger years, even 50, when I looked and felt good still, I don't now.

Fiona

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Fiona,

What kind of surgery did you have?

• Posted

Hi, I had a ventral mesh retropescy, it was supposed to hoist everything up inside but basically it didn't x

• Posted

Hi, I had a ventral mesh retropescy, it was supposed to hoist everything up inside but basically it didn't x

• Posted

Who did it? I had it in Bristol with Dixon, it left me mutilated. I was so stupid to go back to him to see if he can reverse tha damage, he did STARR that essentially finished me off. Did you have it the same place?
  • Posted

Please see a urogynecogist
    • Posted

I have an appointment with one overy my bladder but that doesn't alter they've ballsed up the bowel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.