Prolapsed disc (after op)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, just been reading some of the messages and i feel for u all as i know how u all feel. Mine all started back in sep 07 finished work one friday and had a little back ache as i had experienced a few times before. Everytime i had had this ache in the past my wife just gave me a massage and the next day i felt fine but on this occasion the next day my back was worse and that day i was moving house so i was lifting alot of heavy stuff (i.e. sofa, cooker, fridge freezer etc). My back ache calmed down that week but in the coming weeks i started to get pain in my left leg i went to my GP 4 times between oct and xmas and it just kept getting worse but they just kept saying it was a pulled muscle although lots of people said to me it was sciatica and i told the doc that but they would'nt have it. Then when i broke up work for xmas my back went in to the shape of a banana and it started to get really painful. Went back to my GP after xmas and he said i had a slipped disc and referred me to physio, about 6 weeks later i went to physio and he gave me some exercises to do and they did make my spine go abit straighter for abit but then it went again so i was sent for a MRI. In this time i had been in some severe pain not able to walk more than 100 yards and i could'nt sleep at nite i was on painkillers and diazepan not that they did much for me. One day i was lying on the kitchen floor and i could'nt get up coz the pain was that bad my wife was going to call an ambulance. I finally went to see a consultant in may this year (08 ) and he said he would operate. I got my appointment a few weeks later for my op and it was in july. I went in to hospital on the sunday ready for my op on the monday morning but it never happen that day because the anesthetist never turned up so they sent me home and told me to come back the following monday and this time i had the op and it was a success (so far so good). When i came round my back was straight and i had no pain in my leg or my back anymore i was so happy to be normal again. It has been 4 months since the op and i have had no trouble apart from a little stinging feeling at the top of my buttock for the last couple of days when i stand up. I am going to see the physio about this next week but i think it my just be me panicking but after what i went through the last year any little feeling i get i just start to worry. If any of you can not live your day to day life because it is that bad then you should DEMAND the op it is nothing to worry about and you will have your life back pain free. Don't live with it do something about it you won't be happy until you do trust me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there i found it quite positive to read your message as there seems to be lots of horror stories on the net my situation .. i have a prolapsed disk l4 it happend 2 and a half years ago ihad a very bad time summer 2006 visited a surgeon but decided to avoid surgery ..since then i have had good months and bad ones mainly bad leg pain ...but on the 27th 2008 dec the monster returend full on agony back on 26 pain killers a day..so its decision time now or never been told i have 80% chance off success but i think there could be some nerve damage as i have a lot of mucsle spasms down my leg ..any way just wonder what your recovery was like much pain ect..how long did it take to get back to work as i dont get paid for being off cheers ...i am now of to saw my left leg off ahhhhh :cry:
  • Posted

Hi lenny, I had a L5 discectomy in august and have just gone back to work this week. I found the pain from the operation was nothing compared to the pain id had for the seven months before. My op gave me my life back i still have slight back ache as the op doesnt cure this but no more of the horrible nerve pain.After the op you MUST take things easy and slow no twisting bending or lifting for six weeks thats what the surgeon told me, very frustrating but worth it. Dont worry if you get numbness and tingling after as the nerves heal very slowley.I wish you luck on your journey, let us know how you go on. : smile
  • Posted

thanks for taking the time to respond only some one who has actualy lived the nightmare nows the full story (and my wife)..luckly i have private health care ftrom my work and hope to see the surgeon early jan dreaming of playing golf 2010 ..cheers :wink: .....
  • Posted

Hi Lenny,

I hope you get the answers you want from the surgeon. There is a lot to weigh up, but ultimately it comes down to how much the pain is controlling/ruining your life and the chance of improvement without surgery. I found that knowledge was power. When I first had my prolapsed disc what I knew about discs, nerves, sciatica etc could have fitted onto the back of a postage stamp. As a result I blindly accepted that I was being given good advice/treatment, when I wasn't at all. I spent months of wasted time going to and from my GP whilst he tried this painkiller and that painkiller and put me on a very long list for physiotherapy. And doctors often won't tell you what is truly relevant unless you specifically ask the questions. I found asking \"is it true that there is only a 90% success rate\" better than asking \"are there any risks\" because generally if you don't ask they don't tell!!!

Good luck!!

TFU

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.