prolapsed disc in neck

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive got a prolapsed disc in my neck i am due for surgery on 20th july 2009 my pain at start of diagnosis was about 10 out of10 back in november 2008 now it is only 02 out of10 does anybody think i should go for the surgery or cancel it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed disk in my neck nearly a year ago, and have been to see the spine specalist at the local hospital 2 days ago, who told me that he wouldn't operate on my neck for 2 reasons, 1) it could make my neck weaker, and 2) I could end up in a wheelchair.

He also said that about 80% of them heal by themselves, but I've not read anything to agree with this, I have however read that the disc could shrink, causing more weakening, but I'm not sure.

I'm now looking at a lifetime on painkillers, sleeping tablets, and anti-sickness tablets for when the tablet-taking gets too much.

I live in hope that the 80% quote was true, and pray that I may one day, be one of the luck 80%. Who knows.

I hope this gives you some helpful information, though I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier.

• Posted

i have a prolapse disc in my neck, i had a few sessions of pyhsio and it relieved the pain in my neck, it was the nerve pain i couldnt handle down my arm. my physio gave me a few excersises to do and the pain has nearly gone, it takes time, google the tennis balls excersises and you will get alot of relief doing them
  • Posted

Steve hi,

I,am 42 years old and had a spinal fusion C5 nearly 13 years ago . Sergery was a very daunting at the time but the sergoen basically said that it was needed to bring my life back to anyware near normall . It was a great sucses compared to what i was suffering before the operation and i have been reasonably without problems until the last couple of years . I now have a further prolapsed disk C4 just above the last fusion and yet again i,am in excessive pain , discumfort and unable to work. My last consultation with my sergoen was Wednesday just gone and he has informed me there are probly three ways forward, leave it alone and see if it heals itself, put me to sleep and try and manipilate it to free the traped nerves , or further surgery either from the front of the neck as before or slightly less risky from the rear of the neck and instead of removing the disk he will drill out the bone to free up some space .

I do know ware your coming from when you say you are unsure about having the operation , but they are very clever peaple and the sucsess rate is very good . i hope you end up making the right decision , all the best. I you would like to contact me and let me know what ended up being the outcome and how you are getting on please feel free.

• Posted

Last year I had 2 prolapsed discs removed and replaced with PEEK spacers, C5-6 and C6-7. I had several weeks off work but returned to a fairly active job, light duties to start but back to normal before I knew it.

I wont make light of the surgery because it is a major procedure but these guys do it all the time, it is fairly routine to them.

I've had no problems with mine, other than the occasional tingle here and there but I have no regrets whatsoever.

It's a big decision and only you can make it but I'm glad I went ahead with mine.

Doof

• Posted

Hi,just been reading your messages..im a L5/s1 sufferer now i am having trouble with my neck and pain travelling down my arm..been to the docs he thinks it could be a prolapsed. Any views or experiences.
  • Posted

Hi there so i am reading this a year later. I have a siilar problem...did you have the surgery? I have had pain for 12 weeks and have been given 3 weeks range of tablets to take otherwise surgery
  • Posted

hi i just need to talk to somebody out there now had 2 operations within 3 years and i will be 50 next year but this begger is giving me grief x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.