Prolapsed disc is getting worse?!?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a prolapsed disc as well as a lower spinal curve and sciatica. I have had physiotherapy (not helped) seen a chiropractor (mildly helpful) and I currently take codiene 30mg (2x tablets 4 times per day), amytriptyline (4 x 10mg tablets at night), paracetamol (2 x tablets 4 times a day), omeprazole (once a day) and naproxen (twice daily). I have had injections into my back as well which should have kept the pain at bay (not worked) and I use a TENS machine for an hour every night. My worry now is that the disc has prolapsed more and is maybe pressing on a nerve, as I am getting sciatic pain down both legs now, so walking is tricky, I also feel that whenever I cough I have to clench my buttocks as it feels something may come out. I have a GP appointment thursday and I am going to ask for a new MRI, I also think it might be time for a more surgical approach, as everything I have tried so far has not worked and the issue is worsening. I do not know if they will put me forward for disc surgery here in the UK. I am miserable and my life is grinding to a halt, I used to be very active and did zumba, pole fitness, tap and horseriding, now I cannot do any of them without intense pain during or after the activity. I have been off work this year alone for nearly 3 months due to my back and im getting very depressed about it. Any advice on maybe different medications? what to ask for? homeopathic remedies? Just anything would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You seem to be taking a lot of different pain killers, are they all recommended by your doctor? Also why are you taking omeprazole? Have you got stomach problems from the other medications? I have used an osteopath who really helped. I assume you had cortisone injections in your back, they should have worked if administered correctly. 
    • Posted

Yes all medication prescribed by my GP. I take Omeprazole as long term codeine use can cause stomach ulcers. I have tried everything available too me, spent a lot of my own money on private physio and chiropractors, nothing is working, and as iv said even after the injections I had the pain has gotten worse. So I'm feeling pretty helpless.
  • Posted

hi Katie,

I'm sorry you're experiencing all this pain.  It will get better but maybe at a slower rate than you hoped.

I had (what turned out to be ) a prolapsed disc and sciatica. I was bed-bound for 6 months. I was on the same/similar tablets to you (10-18 a day) and couldn't move anything below waist for 2 months. The tablets were useless and felt like taking smarties. I'd cry out in pain. (NB in hindsight my GP was useless and made the wrong decision in my treatment plan - every decision was eventully overturned at each stage by another health care person).

Anyway, prior to all this had minor pain and GP gave me naproxen and told me to buy book by McKenzie "treat your own back".

I was very cynical at first. I tried the basic excercises and they did help. Reading about how your spine works and what a prolapse is also helped to understand what I was dealing with. 

Evenutally I was given morphine patches which eased the back pain and I could start to move my legs slowly graduating to walking. I could only do one or two of the McKenzie excercises but they made a difference to the pain and I still use them. After a while I got to see hospital neurosurgeon, had surgery (showed that prolapsed disc was irritating 2 nerves ) . post surgery excercises recommended by NHS occupational therapist referred by GP surgery also had a big impact on sciatica. 2 years on still have pain in foot and occasional in back especially if sit too long.

Key is to keep moving as much as possible whenever possible.... no matter how little the movement (once I had morphine, my "excercise" was moving my legs over the side of the bed, sitting up etc..). I'm not running yet (!) but aim to walk about 2 hours a day (in shops/ supermarket/around park etc). 

My injury came following being hit by another car driver. I was depressed and angry for quite while but now come to accept that this is my life now and have to work round it and try to do as much as I would normally do and recognise when I can't do stuff and be patient with my body.

Prior to being bed bound I did try 2 different privately-funded

(some type of??) therapists but they were useless/ or made things worse.

Hope this helps ...  take

• Posted

Iv had this problem for around 9 years now and it isn't getting better, it's getting worse it affects all aspects of my life and I'm at the end of my tether with it. Got another GP app Friday so I will push for more xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.