Prolapsed disc trapped nerve awaiting operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

im waiting for an operation for prolapsed disc and trapped nerve which has left my left leg with weakness, pain and pins and needles, in the last two weeks I've been getting pain in my right leg which starts from the groin, I get no warning when the pain will hit, it's intense and severe, I've had to up the amount of Tramadol I'm taking to try to combat the pain, is right leg pain normal? 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Debbie I had surgery for a herniated L5S1 last may and I did have the same symtoms as you .It was my right side that was affected though .Towards the end before my op I did start having nerve pain on my left side also.The awful pain has been resolved since the op but I still have nerve pain in both my feet every so often it will fire off without warning but it will go just as quick as it arrived,I hope you get sorted soon I know first hand what its like dealing with this pain it can get you down wondering will your life ever be pain free .You could have herniated the disc further so I would mention to your doctor that this is a new symptom he/she might be able to prescribe something else for you .Tramadol was ok for me at the start but towards the end i needed butrans patchs with an anti inflamatory to try get a few hours pain free ! How long is it since you were told that you needed the op and how long do they think it will be before you get it !
    • Posted

Hi Terrie

I saw consultant on Jan 7 who said it would be 8/10 weeks for op, I spoke to the hospital this week and they said after having further correspondence from my GP my notes are being passed to a private hospital because they can fit me in as it needs doing sooner rather than later, hopefully it will be done in March now where it had been pushed back again with the normal hospital.

I'm also taking naproxen, methacarbamol and parecetamol along with the tramadol, will be pleased to be able to stop taking them x

• Posted

Tramdol is horrible, it made me dizzy ( and you cant have a beer). I was prescribed it when I left hospital; I took two pills and binned them. Shame they dont give out diazapam that's much more fun, you can be in pain and high as a kite at the same time!

My advice to anyone having or has just had the op. It's 6 weeks for the muscles and nerves to repair. Not 4 weeks 5 weeks;the magic number is 6, yes 6 weeks. Your scar will  repair in two weeks, but everything else internally is 4 weeks behind.  

Lots of walking doesn't help despite what you read. Although, a little bit is good, get good a shuffling in the first few days. 

I started physio the end of week 2 and I have been given 2 exercises a week to do since, on top of the ones already given. They are more like soft movements which reinforces you are at a basic recovery level and not fit for work or driving.

Andy Murray had the op last spring and he was in the Aussie tennis open final last month, so dont worry too much. Yes your tennis gets better afterwards too, but your golf get worse as Tiger Woods has just found out.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you, it's good to hear from a fellow sufferer/recoverer :-)

On the plus side I'll be able to play tennis, I've never been able to hit the ball before hahaha an don't get me started on golf lol x

• Posted

I should say it is good sign you have still pain. How long have you had the disc prolapsed?
    • Posted

Hi

First did it last June, it then settled but it went again in September and have been in pain ever since

• Posted

I take my words back after reading your story again. It is good sign you have still pain so the nerves are still alive, but it is bad it affecting your right side too. Is the left side any better after the pain started in the right side?

I'm no health care professional so of course take all caution with what I write. : )

• Posted

Lol still got numbness and pins an needles in left leg, and I still sway like a loon to ease the pain :-)
    • Posted

When I had a ischiatic attac, many years ago, what helped was to tie a wide scarf real tight around my hip. Below the protuding hip bones. It helped to relax the muscles and relieved some pain. I guess when the muscle can relax there is better blood flow and it takes away eg. lactacic acid and other stuff. The muscles may overcontract in trying to protect the bad parts. Maybe you can try that.

Also nowdays when I have backpain and pain in my legs I try to make myself tall and lift up my shoulders and ribcage and stabilize the back like by stretching it straight. So kind of real "proud" posture.

I hope you get to the operation sooner than later and it goes well for you and brings back more normal life!

• Posted

U still get pain the nerves are spread like a horse tail. Cauda equine means horses tail in English. U have so many nerves. Before my urgent surgery it was my left side leg was weak. After the surgery it's my right side leg which is wear. I have good day and bad. I have cares for the future as I get old my mobility will become a issue. I fight ever day to keep going.
    • Posted

Thanks, I checked Cauda equine nerves. I've never before googled the pictures of the nerves of the back but now I did and I guess I have some stuff going on both L4 or L5 and also couple of the S ones. I guess I have to be bit more careful. Instictively recently I have stopped carrying heavy stuff like shopping bags. (Maybe I have to get a little shopping bag with wheels.)

Funny thing that help me is to jump on the trampoline and running, which should be against all common sense. Also massaging the knobbly (nerve??) things at the back of the hip help a lot. It first makes the nerves tingle all the way down the leg but then it helps and couple of days or even a week it can be symptom free. And yes if legs hurt when walking, lifting the ribcage and shouldes by stretching the tummy area long and tall helps. I just hope I would have the willpower to do something more permanent to those six pack abs (well I mean two pack flobs) to be able to maintain better posture all day long.

Thanks for the discussion, it made me think about my back a bit more. I've kind of put it to the background...

Keith, I guess when you have a good day, you've done something that is good for your back and vice versa. So maybe get a routine of the good things. 

All the best to your backs!!

• Posted

Hi debbie.

Ive previously had 2 ops for the exact same thing. Was told right leg pain was due to referred pain or discs going on right hand side. 2x decompressions and 15 years on from when it 1st happened(moved a large wardrobe)ive had nothing but problems.

Ive had every procedure available(nhs).the next step is a fusion which ive refused to have.

At the moment im recovering from my 2nd knee op which is due to walking badly due to back.

I refuse to let it beat me. Im a wealth of info on backs(sadly)so will help if i can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.