Prolapsed disc - unsure about next action

Posted , 4 users are following.

Appreciate any opinions on my story below; I understand the final action is down to me.

I have had lower back pain and especially sciatica (down to foot on left leg) a couple of times each year for around 20 years. Over the past few months I've had a bout that wouldn't go away and has resulted in not being able to walk more than 5 mins. The pain was so bad I booked a consultant and had MRI who confirmed prolapsed disc at S5/L1. He was happy to do nerve block and microdiscetomy "if I was struggling".

Since this conversation, only 3 weeks ago, pain has virtually gone although I was left with numbness in my thigh and foot. However, numbness in thigh has reduced by 75% although only 25% in foot. I take a single ant-inflamatory med each day. I have shed a few pounds and have been walking couple of miles daily, but no physio on consultants advice.

I'm now unsure of my next action. Do I let it continue to improve naturally with conservative methods? I feel nerve block right now wouldn't be useful as I have no pain to block. Microdiscetomy may still be an option - I have seen the MRI and seen the prolapse yet as I'm not in discomfort it seems a bit unnatural taking surgery. I have been resting a lot, but building up each day recently.

Many thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, you seem to be heading in the right direction with natural healing so if i were in your position i would steer clear of surgery. My L5/S1 disc has just about completely degenerated and my L4/L5 and L3/L4 have herniated. I have nerve entrapment in 3 places and mostly all of my symptoms are left side....tingling, numbness, buttock pain etc. It's extremely annoying. Like you it flares up a couple of times a year, usually lasts for around 6 weeks and then subsides to discomfort rather than pain. I walk twice a day and i've recently started doing 'Foundation training' and i also hang from a bar, beam or anything else dependant on where i am to try and increase the space between my facet joints as all my symptoms get worse with compression ie sitting or standing. I also visit an osteopath twice a month. i imagine i will be like this for the rest of my life. I really hope it gets no worse but i would only resort to surgery as a very very desperate last resort. I also take nerve pain medication too. As you say you have to take the decision thats right for you as only you know the pain and discomfort you feel. Everyone seems to have a different experience and no ones pain or synptoms are exactly the same as the bext persons even though they sometimes have the same diagnosis. Best of luck whatever you do, back pain really is a curse! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.