Prolia - 55 years old Spine -2.9, Hip-2.7, should I do this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am being advised to start Prolia and would like feedback as to whether these results are reversible without Prolia. I went through menopause in my early 30's and did a few years of Fosamax over 15 years ago. I need to increase my weight bearing exercising but have always taken Calcium.  Any thoughts?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh boy....currently following a few other posts similar to this, as I had my first injection 8.2.18. My situation is a lot different than yours though. T score of -4, 63 y.o.,currently on prednisone,  never had a broken bone, early menopause, osteoporosis hereditary, don’t drink or smoke, am small boned at 45kls, but was always very fit and active, excercised, ate healthy, took calcium, omega 3 etc for years.  When I begged my rheumatologist to just treat my osteoporosis with the increased supplemens and healthy lifestyle he said “well it hasn’t worked for you so far has it”. 🙄

On saying that others have previously commented that they have managed to improve their bones with supplements  and lifestyle changes, so it really does depend on each situation. 

• Posted

That is very drastic with a tscore like that! 

Maybe start a regime of supplements, diet and weight bearing exercise.

Anhaga will come on here and talk about wearing a vest that contains extra weight as she does that and is also very knowledgeable.

Vitamin K2 is the key vitamin to take as it aims the calcium onto the bones.

As people have been shown to be deficient in magnesium, check that and make sure you have some because it helps with other things too.

Vitamin D3 is vital and check that in your blood tests.

Yoghurt, leafy greens, bony broth, prunes, skin of cucumbers, avocados are all supportive of bone health.

There is much you can do.

All the best!

• Posted

Kathleen's said it all, really.  There was a study done, you can find it by googling combination of micronutrients osteoporosis, which showed that nutrition including supplements and appropriate exercise can indeed improve bone density, perhaps as quickly as the bone meds, with no side effects except generally improved health.  If you have had no fractures I'd certainly agree with Kathleen that you are in a good position to go this route.  Prolia is a very serious medication which actually stops the function of the osteoclasts.  As these are also part of the immune system I'd think it would take a very dire situation to make me take it.  I don't think your readings are dire, but they do mean you need to do something to maintain and improve your bone density.  My friend who got me started on the natural path told me she felt Nordic walking was the exercise which helped her most, though of course she does other things as well   She started out with osteoporosis and has through the years had a steady improvement in her bone density as measured by successive DXA scans.  I don't know what her readings were.  She also alerted me to the existence of Vitamin K2 which I'd never heard of before.  In one year I improved my bone density from -2 to -1.6.  They had been recommending bone meds, but no longer.   

I hope you have also been taking Vitamin D?

• Posted

“Prolia is a very serious medication which actually stops the function of the osteoclasts“. Given you know my personal story, can you give me an insite into this? 
    • Posted

Reeceregan, as you know, I'm not medically trained, although I try to transmit only information which is authentic.  As I understand it, denosumab works much the same way as the bisphosphonates, which is to inhibit the action of the osteoclasts which in turn allows bone to be built up by the osteoblasts.  Denosumab has a much stronger action on those cells. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5383772/

I would suggest that it's this greater effectiveness in inhibiting the osteoclasts which not only leads to perceived greater improvement in bone density with denosumab, but also if the therapy is prolonged may be what leads to microcracks in  the bones.  New bone is being laid over an increasingly aging matrix.  This is a well known effect and the reason why it's no longer best practice to prescribe these bone meds, including denosumab, indefinitely.  I think what's being said now is that two or three years is probably the maximum length of time one should be on any medication which stops the osteoclasts from functioning.  

• Posted

That’s a good paper, very informative. I can understand why my drs were so insistent, and they did say 3 years, (although I’m going to hopefully look at 2). Thanks for explaining this, one never knows whether they are doing the right thing with these drugs.  I,read as much as I could about it  before I started on it but sometimes it’s never long enough to take it all in. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for this information. I tend to just blindly trust the medical profession's recommendations but I don't think I will this time. I know I can approve on my diet and exercise and I have always been taking Calcium and Vitamin D but adding Vitamin K2 can be easily done. Great advice. I will be following this all more closely. After going off Fosamax a few years ago I just didn't keep as focused as I should have on my health.

• Posted

Anhaga, you are always spot on! I saw an oral surgeon a couple of years ago and he travels the world trying to fix the jaws of people who have taken these drugs. Although he would not come out and say don’t take them he advised great caution and said that prolia was worse than AA.

From what he was trying to convey to me I hesitated.

• Posted

It really does seem that these drugs should be used as emergency intervention and not carried on with indefinitely.  Probably a lot of what we are seeing with the problems associated with bisphosphonates and denosumab is with people who were simply put on them indefinitely before doctors knew better.  They should be treated more like drugs which deal with the immediate serious problem, but after that it's up to us to keep as healthy as we can.  New information also makes it more apparent that doctors should be advising us much earlier in our lives about the importance of maintaining bone health.  We get enough information about avoiding diabetes and cardiovascular problems, so they need to add our skeleton to the list.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.