Prolia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I took my first shot of Prolia.  I can't  get a conclusive answer on how long this medication stays in your body until it's completely out. Anyone know ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think the effects last for six months, hence the six month injection schedule.  A researcher is quoted as saying: The way that denosumab (Prolia) works is that it’s a fully human monoclonal antibody to RANK ligand. So when you give somebody a shot in the arm of this drug every six months, they get a six-month period during which the antibody is active, after which it stops working. For the six months that it’s circulating in your system, you have a reduction in RANK ligand levels, which leads to a reduction in the signal to the osteoclasts that makes them overly aggressive, and they behave properly. 
  • Posted

The serum maximal concentration takes 32 days according to the Cleveland Clinic. It can still be detected in the blood for up too 9 months. I would expect that 6 monthly injections is probably about right. (According to the other post).
  • Posted

My sister had one prolia injection and reacted badly. She was very anxious for the six months to be up. I think it goes on a bit from there too.
    • Posted

I actually called and spoke to a pharmacist at Amgen , and he couldn't tell me exactly when or if ever the medication is completely out of your body.that is a little scary , to say the least.

• Posted

The implication of the quotation I posted above is that denosumab loses its effectiveness around the six month mark.  As Melissa pointed out it is still doing something even after that time, up to about nine months.  However you'd expect the drugs to stay in the system for a long time (alendronic acid ten years and counting) even if they are no longer having a direct effect, because they are going into the bones which have a very slow turnover compared with other body parts, or the blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.