Prolia v alendronic acid.

Posted , 3 users are following.

any advice on which is best?  I'm have MS and use a wheelchair with a hip TScore of -3.3.  Broke my femur after a fall.  Trying to find out if Prolia injections are a better option than Alendronic Acid which I was going to start today but now want to wait till I get some advice.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I looked into prolia and decided it was even worse than AA. My sister tried both and she suffered with both. She never gave me much detail but she could not wait for the six months to be up with the prolia and start to get it out of her system.

Others will comment and it is your decision alone what you decide to do.

All the best with whatever you do.

• Posted

Prolia, denosumab, does more than inhibit the osteoclasts, it sort of poisons them and as they are actually part of the immune system I'd be very leery of it.  On the other hand I don't think AA has much to recommend it either unless your bones are so bad you need immediate intervention.  One might consider up to two years of AA, provided one had no bad reactions to it, but at the same time begin a very good regimen of the best nutrition, supplements and appropriate exercise one could manage. At the end of two years you could come off the bisphosphonate, having received the best it can offer but before the bad effects can kick in.

Remember, too, that your fracture may not really have been the result of poor bone density but simply the impact and anyone might have fractured. Most fractures are in fact sustained by people who do not have low bone density although I concede your DXA result does mean you have to do something.  Whatever you do, please be aware that studies have shown that nutrition and exercise can improve bone density although it seems some doctors don't believe it!  I improved my bone density without drugs, so I have personal knowledge that it can be done.  I had a broken bone (tibeal plateau) which I think was not a fragility fracture because of the circumstances of the injury.  I also have been taking prednisone for PMR for a couple of years, during the year between my two scans showing the iprovement my dose was definitely at a level shown to affect bone density adversely.  So I know that the natural methods are effective.  My DXA result, however, after three months at my highest dose of pred, and about 18 months after the fracture, was -2, so still in "osteopenia" range.  After a year of looking after myself, though still on pred, my t-score was -1.6 and drugs are no longer recommended.  My doctor asked me how I did it! cool  I know your MS makes things more difficult, but I imagine there are some things you can do from your wheelchair which will help those bones.  Google osteoporosis combination of micronutrients for a study done showing that nutrition is effective.

• Posted

Thanks.  My t score is bad so I'm going to take this wretched drug but am already taking calcium with Vit D and K2 supplements.  Have a healthy diet but will adapt it further.  I'm dealing with NHS so I'll have to agitate for another scan in two years as they're talking 5 and only a drug holiday before going back on it.

• Posted

Good Luck!  It's not an easy road.  I think it is possible to get the DXA scan privately, at least so I've heard, and I don't think it is enormously expensive, so save your shekels in case you have to do that in a couple of years!

• Posted

I was lucky to get another scan after one year - although they tried to cancel it on me although in the first report it had been recommended.  Next one recommended in 3-5 years.  This is Nova Scotia, and I don't have to pay.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.