Prolonged bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started my period on 4/18 on time (I'm 52 and have never missed a period) it never stopped it would get light then come back heavy.  On 6/17 I started taking Shepherds Purse and tonight I am blood free!! Sure hope it lasts!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Delilah you must be so tired of it! Congrats for finding a herbal solution, I had never heard of Shepherd's purse before. 

I just wanted to say what I always say on this forum, which is have your blood iron level checked, you might be anemic from the blood loss. And anemia will make you feel a bit depressed. 

Anyway, maybe this is the beginning of the end . . . yaHOOO!!

• Posted

I'm going to do some reading on shepherds purse. Sounds interesting!

Glad it has given you some relief, and long may it continue. Rest up! That is a long bleed. My sympathies!

• Posted

Hi there.  I had prolonged bleeding recently, almost 4 weeks, but it wasn't heavy at all.  Just a constant trickle.  It was accompanied by throbbing breast pain which prompted a visit to the breast clinic where all was found to be fine but it was a troubling time.  The bleeding finally stopped and was followed a few weeks later by what I would call a normal period, normal for me anyway.  I'm due on again next week, if my cycle is regular this time.  I'm trying to be as med free as possible, so I can guage what's happening to my body.
  • Posted

Hi Delilah,

it's great and a proof that harbals do work. I would take some iron+ folate for 6 months to rebalance the blood loss you had. Your ferritin levels must be very low by know. 

Take care. Teresa.

• Posted

I do take iron every day and a multi vitamin that has 100% of daily requirements for folic acid.  Hoping this will keep it under control until I hit menopause!! Oddly I have no other symptoms.
    • Posted

I meant herbals... 

Just remembred: citrus bioflavonoids are also recomended for womens bleeding.

I hope you don't need them though.

• Posted

Sadly my blood free time did not last.  I have scheduled a dr appointment but it won't be for a few weeks.  Has anyone ever bled this long??? I don't have any other symptoms, other than occaisional cramps, that are not horrible.
    • Posted

I have bled for about a month a half but it stopped 1st time with natural oral progesterone and the other time with iron (in  fact just 5 days later). 

As I said citrus Bioflavonoids are recommended for this as Vitex is too.

If you want to go for non naturals the NSAIDS that is Ibuprofen is what mst doctors prescribe.

I know how draining it is...A Gentle hug. Teresa

• Posted

Teresa what is the natural oral progesterone? I just started the citrus Bioflavonids yesterday.  Ibuprofen didn't reall do that much.  It is mostly not that heavy on average 3 tampons for 24 hours, but occaisionally gets heavy.  
    • Posted

Hi Delilah. I was writing this and I had a net crash rolleyes so her we go again: 

in the UK and EU it's Utrogestan in the US it's Prometrium. You'll need a prescription and it's taken for 12 day before menses. Considering your age most doctors will probably assing to to some form of HRT.

In the US you have over the counter progesterone creams.

CEMCOR website has valuable information. I'll PM you some.

Let us know how're doing. Teresa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.