Prolonged QT interval, any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have only just joined this group and hope its the right place, so forgive me if its not.

Anyway, I am bipolar, have anxiety and also various allergies including skin irritation.  Two months ago my gp put me on hydroxyzine (a sedating anti histamine), it was a miracle drug for me, cured all my allergies and helped me get off diazepam as it has anti-anxiety properties.  However, my local pharmacist recomended against this as in combination with my anti-depressant citalopram, it can cause heart irregularities, so they did another ECG on me, and lo and behold, since going on the hydroxyzine I have devloped an extended qt interaval, which apparently can be fatal.  I've been taken off the hydroxyzine, put back on cetirizine anti-histamine which doesn't work, and the diazeapm, so right back at square one, not a happy bunny.

I'd be interested to hear any stories anyone else has who has an extended qt interval so that I can learn more about it.

Thanks

LIzzie

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie yes sadly antihistamines do prolong the qtc 😐
    • Posted

Hi Mazza

Thanks for your reply.  I'm now on Fexafendine which they hope won't prolong the QT interval.  I'm told its the sedating anti-histamines which are the worst, which this one isn't.

Saw my new GP today as I've moved home, and all well, she is really understanidng

Lizzie x

• Posted

Yes I have to admit I feel fine on the non sedating ones such as loretadine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.