Prolotherapy for knee pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I"m having so much pain after last year's arthroscopy, but the only option being given now is knee replacement, even though I don't have a lot of arthritis on my knee.  I heard about prolotherapy - or PRP - has anyone ever had that for knee pain?  It's supposed to help with cartilage regeneration and general inflammation. It's not covered by insurance, so I'm hesitant.....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I had cartilage repair in Nov 2014 and only now feeling " normal" again - if I'd of known the pain and discomfort I'd never of had it done -

I bought an exercise bike to use at home and its helped a lot to build up strength - just a thought

Hope you feel better soon !

• Posted

Dave - was the pain on the surface, like nerve pain?  Or in the joint?  I had meniscus repair and arthroscopy, but the tingling, pain, acheiness etc have never gone away.  Walking or standing makes it so bad.  Doctors are saying there's nothing other than a knee replacement, total or partial that they can do.  I'm wondering about PRP - have you heard of that for knee pain?

• Posted

I had the same meniscus repair and arthroscopy- I had a small bit of arthritis and was told similar to you by a nurse practitioner that they could either put a " pin" ( looked like a drawing pin" )over the arthritis or partial knee replacement- I wasn't having that !

Forgot to mention I went swimming as well but stay close to the side as it was painful and only kick your legs don't try breaststroke style movements with your legs !! That defo helped me along with the cycling! I'm not a doctor but both have put me back to almost health - I can't run anymore but have no pain - it does take time though !

• Posted

Sorry - never heard of that procedure you mentioned !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.