Prometrium

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, has anyone tried Prometrium? My doctor prescribed it over two months ago but still haven't started it. Has it worked, with little or no side effects?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I've been peri for years and tried to ride out the symptoms with lifestyle changes, (exercise, maintaining optimum weight -122-125, no sugar, etc) but my symptoms kept getting worse.I had Insomnia and mood swings, chronic depression, and a bunch of other symptoms.  I got fed up and went to the dr. He started me on Prometrium 100 mg. That night, I took the pill and was sound asleep in about 30 min. It was heaven! It also stabilized my mood swings.I went back to the dr. about a month later and told him about the depression, joint pain, etc.. He added estrace (bioidentical estrogen) The changes have been miraculous, and I regret waiting so long before bhrt.

• Posted

Hi Moody,

Thanks for the input. So I assume the prometrium didn't help with all the rest of your symptoms alone. This is odd, but I sleep well, always did. My moods, and the mental symptoms is where I need help. I. Reading that progesterone alone doesn't help, and an estrogen backup has been helpful. Is the prometrium you take bio identical, or the estrogen

• Posted

Hi Colleen, Actually the Prometrium did help with mood swings as well as my sleep. The joint pain, depression, frequent urinary tract infections, vaginal dryness, etc. were indications of low estrogen. When I added the bioidentical estrogen, all these symptoms either went away or were greatly reduced. Yes, the Prometrium and Estrace are both bioidentical.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that the estrace has improved the appearance of my skin a lot.cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks for your input Moody. I just read a bunch of great reviews about the brand name Prometrium and how the generic differs in a negative way, not really as effective. I went to look at my bottle, and its the generic!!! Ugh and I was actually excited about finally trying them,,,, not so much now!
    • Posted

Hi Colleen, I don't think they are expensive. My insurance pays for them and I have a $10 copay for a month supply for each.(prometrium and estrace)

• Posted

Colleen, mine might be the generic, I know I get the generic for the Estrace. Some people swear by brand names, but I usually get generics for all my meds (thyroid and antideppressants) and I can't tell any difference. (I've had brand and generic) Besides, maybe your dr. would request brand if you asked. Also, as far as looking rough, perimenopause takes it's toll on all of us! Good luck! cheesygrin

• Posted

My pharmacy doesn't carry the name brand anyway. I called my doc inquiring about my estrogen levels, and its 78, normal, so why do I appear older??

• Posted

Colleen, I read online that hormones don't stay the same, they fluctuate throughout your cycle so you will get different readings according to what day you test. Some doctors don't even test hormones to determine whether you are in peri because they change so often. They go by your age and symptoms.  

• Posted

Moody,

Yes very true,and my estrogen was normal and progesterone very low on day two of my cycle.

• Posted

I was prescribed Prometrium 200 mg/night (it is considered a biodentical hormone) to counter the higher than normal levels of estrogen I was having at the time. It greatly helped my sleep and leveled out my moods as well. I did not have to stay on it long, maybe 6 months as with our hormones, the levels can change from time to time so for me it was a short and good course that I found very helpful.
    • Posted

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your response. I was only prescribed the Prometrium, not estrace. I was supposed to start it 6 days ago and wonder if I can start it late. I was afraid to start it, and had no idea it was bioidentical. How long did it take to feel the effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.