Propanalol for anxiety - update

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started taking 4 x 10mg tablets a week ago today as suggested by my Doctor as I was in a really bad way with severe anxiety that had been building up over about 5 days. I felt that my body was literally going to shut down. Take tablets About 5 hours apart so that the last one is taken just before I go to bed.   Unfortunately a social lunch on the Friday and a social weekend away had to be cancelled as I couldn’t get to them due to the anxiety - I’d only had 2 tablets by the Thursday night so I guess they weren’t enough to change anything.  Things did change dramatically about three days later. I just suddenly felt lighter, more calm and was sleeping so much better. I wasn’t waking up in a sheer panic with heart racing at 2am and if I did wake up to go to the loo, I went back to sleep. No horrible intrusive thoughts or worrying about anything. I have had several instances happen this week which would have ordinarily sent me into an anxiety attack and a complete mess, but which had no effect on me. I have been out for walks, driven to the shops etc and been fine.  I have an appointment this Saturday with a Consultant on an unrelated matter and it will be interesting to see how I am on the day as this is my first booked appointment since taking the tablets.  I noticed it was booked events that I would spend sometimes weeks irrationally worrying about.  As for side effects, I do get a tight head now and then but nothing else. I have been advised to go for CBT, which now I feel that i’ve got a bit of my mojo back, I will arrange. I don’t want to rely on tablets forever but at the moment they are helping me feel better than I have for the last few years.  The GP has left it to me to control the dosage, so I may try to reduce down after Saturday and see how I get on.   I do find that when I wake up in the morning (around 6am) I am not 100% calm and relaxed but am nowhere near as tense and panicky as I was before. I’m assuming it’s because it’s been around 7/8 hours since my last tablet. So, all in all, a huge turnaround to how I was feeling a week ago.

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.