Propanalol Withdrawal?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I am a 27 year old male who was originally given propranolol 40MG back in January for some minor anxiety.

Since starting (about a month later) I have been going to A&E every single week/ 2 times per week complaining of extreme weakness and pure terror, ice cold but sweaty and numb hands and legs and arms and thinking I am certainly going to die.

I was never ever like this before going on propranolol so I have reduced from 40MG to 20MG, I am on day 3 and have never ever felt so petrified and scared I am going to die, I cannot stop shaking inside my body (you can’t see me shake but it feels like my whole body is tingling/vibrating)

I am also extremely dizzy, light headed, faint and completely and utterly exhausted and have never ever felt so scared in my whole life. I am literately stuck to my bed just crying and crying thinking it is never ever going to end.

Every time I have been to A&E my ECG is clear as well as all blood markers, they say nothing is wrong with me.

To clarify I am on day 3 of a reduction of 20MG from 40 which I have been on for about 5 months.

I beg you with all my heart that can you please assure me this will pass or is normal? I am almost dropping my phone now with how weak I feel

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

better now thanks ftom the withdrawal . it was about 3?werks

• Posted

better now thanks ftom the withdrawal . it was about 3?werks

• Edited

Hi Ben, I have just registered so I am a little late with the reply. I hope your feeling much better

I had been withdrawing since November 2020. I was on 80ml slow release felt awful but thought it was the new anti depressants I had been put on. All the time the symptoms had been from Propranalol. felt exhausted, no interest in anything, felt as though I had lead in my legs. When I started to withdraw I experienced panic attacks really bad anxiety that I had never had until put on Propranolol. l was originally prescribed Ptopranolol for migraine. I could not eat sleep, couldn't get warm. I reduced right down to a quarter of 10ml pill before stopping. I have been off this stuff for 3 weeks, still have waves of withdrawal symptoms, but better than I was. I am a lady of 67 years old and never dreamed I would be going through this nightmare.

• Posted

i am 11 days off of this medicine and having horrible withdrawal my eyes are very dry, increased anxiety and electrical tingling everywhere with cold sweats How long did your withdrawal last I was on 10 mg twice a day for 14 days and then I tapered for five days. Thanks for your help

• Edited

Hi Ben,

How are you doing now?

I was prescribed propranolol in Feb 40mg once a day. I took for approx 7 weeks and decided to stop as I realised it was slowing my heart rate too much in that I was out of breath going upstairs. I was completely fine for two weeks and then bang, big anxiety/panic attacks, shaking, thirsty, heart racing, just awful. Bloods and ECG all fine. Reluctant to ask the Docs to try something different but fed up of this coming on every morning and randomly during the day. My doc said it shouldn't be withdrawal after this long but I read loads of threads where people are still struggling after 2/3 weeks. My question is how long did people experience side effects from withdrawal and after 2 weeks could it still be withdrawal?

Thanks

• Posted

May 26th 2021...I too quite 40mg Propranolol about 6 days ago after taking it 10+ years. I have been shaking like an alcoholic does, insomnia etc. Please tell me this goes away and if so how long does it take?

• Posted

I've been withdrawing from this horrible drug for just over 2 weeks after being on it for about 7 months. I wake up with anxiety, I'm exhausted, really breathless, fast heart rate which wakes me up at night, stiff muscles. I've had one reasonable day but the symptoms are awful and continue to be. I hope this passes soon and for anybody suffering the same.

• Posted

Hi Tricia.

Many thanks for asking.

Not great. I have been off this medicine 5 weeks tomorrow and have terrible anxiety. It's like my chest is on fire. I thought by now it would start to improve but no. Admittedly, the first two weeks were not too bad but then i started to experience withdrawal symptoms. One of these is this terrible burning all over my upper body. I came off it before and got this same

• Posted

Hi Yazmin.

Yes that has improved. Horrible medication this is. At present I have terrible burning anxiety and feel nauseous.

How are your symptoms?

• Posted

hi sandra. i'm sorry to hear that. i've read about others having burning like that on another thread. i stopped propranolol after 1 month over 3 weeks ago now and am also still having symptoms. my symptoms have also changed over time. i'm mostly worried now about my blood pressure which is dropping when I stand. it seems like being on this drug and then stopping it has just completely dysregulated my nervous system. i hope it all goes away soon.

• Posted

Hi Tricia.

Yes , some people seem to come off it with very few side effects and others don't. I'm going to speak to the doctor to see if he can give me something but the burning is getting worse. Have you tried tacking B12 which helps repair the nervous system

• Posted

hi sandra. yes, i've been researching all kinds of supplements. I get B12 in my multi, and just started alternating that with a super b complex that has a much higher amount. also found out my iron is low. i'm wondering how much deficiencies like that may play a role in making some people more vulnerable to certain side effects. good luck with the doctor!

• Posted

Maybe if your iron levels are low that might affect your blood pressure.

• Posted

it definitely could. I just wish it would all go back to normal soon because it is scary. i've been taking iron supplements since i found out. all of my issues started with propranolol. now i'm suddenly dealing with my heart racing and blood pressure dropping. actually have an appointment to see a cardiologist.

• Posted

Hi Tricia.

It is very scary. i spoke to my GP yesterday and he didn't think the burning was a withdrawal symptom and asked me what I would like him to do for me. That says it all. They put me on them and now I have these terrible symptoms, they have no idea what to do. I'm going to speak

• Posted

to my consultant to see if upping the dose of my anti depressant might help with this anxiety/burning fire

• Posted

It makes me angry that so many doctors respond this way. i'm very sorry and wish i could help. any chance you may have acid reflux caused by stopping the med?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.