Propanolol for Anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've been prescribed Propanolol for anxiety, 10mgs twice a day. I have been on this for just over a week now. Since the 7th day of taking, I felt exhausted to the point where it was an effort to walk and I had to go to bed. My psychiatrist has suggested cutting the dose in half and I am taking 5mgs twice a day, using a tablet cutter to cut the tablets. Has anyone else had these symptoms of complete exhaustion on Propanolol? Additionally, am taking Mirtazapine 11.25mgs and Citalopram 40mgs.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I got prescribed 40mg twice a day for my anxiety and blood pressure. Around day 7 i took my tablet around 7am. Around 9am at work I literally felt like I’d been hit with a brick! Not just tired exhaust to the point I could have lied down on the floor! Anyway I was due to go back to docs a couple of days later and was prepared to tell him this but the tiredness passed and now I’m fine. 
    • Posted

Hi Joanna, thanks for your response. I am glad the Propanolol worked for you. I had to stop taking the it as I felt so exhausted to the point where I could not work. My Psychiatrist has said I could take it on and as and when basis so may do this but it will be as a last resort.
    • Posted

I think it’s just so different for people. With any medication I dread the side effects. Hope you manage to get your anxiety under control. I hate it. Mines has got so much worse as ive got older. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.