propanolol or citalopram ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys......

Looking to see if anyone has had personal experience with either propanolol or citalopram?

I've been offered either or for my health anxiety.

I've researched both and they both seen to have positive and negative things going for them.

Here's my real concern....I'm more inclined to go with propanolol because it seem to have more positive reviews.

But I know It's main role is to slow the heart Down and in general calm you down, but my resting heart rate is usually about 50/55 bpm and I'm not sure I would like it to go any lower.

I also had asthma about 10 years ago but I'm clear of that now and I've heard it could be a problem if you have any history of asthma.

Other than that I'd love to give propanolol a go.

Take care

John

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i was on citalapram before falling pregnant and it helped me so much I will be going back on them when I have the baby, and my sister was on propranolol which really helped her I think to know for yourself try one see how it goes it its okay keep on it of not try the over! everyone reacts differently to tablets

take care

• Posted

Hi I have been taking Citlapram for about 18 years and have no problems with it.

I have asthma and take ventolin with no problems never had propanolol, only way to see if they work for you is try them and see.

• Posted

hi john. ur heart rate sounds 'lowish' , so i'm wondering how high/low ur B/P is. if it's also low, then the propanolol would lowern it too further and u may end up with problems with that, not least depression.

Caitlin

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys I really appreciate it.

My BP was fine when it was last checked, I should have discussed my resting heart rate with my GP, I'll have to go back and ask him about it.

Either way it'll have to one of them, health anxiety is a real pain in the you know what.

I guess it's just a process of elimination.

again thanks for the input.

take care

john

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.