Propanolol plus Mirtazapine and Citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've been prescribed Propanolol for anxiety, 10mgs twice a day. I have been on this for just over a week now. Since the 7th day of taking, I felt exhausted to the point where it was an effort to walk and I had to go to bed. My psychiatrist has suggested cutting the dose in half and I am taking 5mgs twice a day, using a tablet cutter to cut the tablets. Has anyone else had these symptoms of complete exhaustion on Propanolol? Additionally, am taking Mirtazapine 11.25mgs and Citalopram 40mgs.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I’m on 40 mg citalopram and 40 mg of propranolol and just been put back on 15 mg mirtazapine. I came off the mirtazapine 5 weeks ago but felt awful after a traumatic event. Just wondering do you feel like all these tablets help you? I have crippling anxiety and underlying depression. How do you feel on them? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Collette,

Like you, I suffer from anxiety with depression sometimes.

I stopped taking Propanolol as it made me feel so tired that I had to go to bed in the afternoon!

I have been taking Citalopram for 13 years without a break. It really helped me a lot but I think I have got used to it as my anxiety came back last year and my doctor put me on Mirtazapine.

I am trying to wean myself off Mirtazapine and am now taking 5mgs in liquid form. I am having the most horrendous withdrawal symptoms getting off Mirtazapine. It didn't really work for me as my anxiety came back earlier this year hence I decided to come off it. I tried adjusting the dosage of Citalopram and Mirtazapine so I was taking 30mgs of each but didn't get on with the new dose.

• Posted

This is the same for me. I’ve been on citalopram 40mg for 5 years straight then I had a breakdown in February do the doctor put me on mirtazapine 15mg and propranolol 40mg too. This helped and by June I felt ok so the doctor told me to just stop the mirtazapine cold turkey and I done this but 4 weeks after I feel awful. So emotional, not bothered, anxious, low mood etc. So 2 days ago I was put back on the mirtazapine. I just want to get back to normal!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.