Propanolol, weight gain and itching

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been on 80mg 2 x daily for migraines and severe anxiety. All seems under control but since I started in January I have gained A LOT of weight especially on my stomach! I've also had very itchy skin - scalp, arms (and dry patches) , legs, and bottom.

How can I reduce the side effects from propanolol. I don't want to risk changing drug as it works well, but I can not deal with being fat. It's rapid weight gain and I just don't want it to get any worse.

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mind is more important than body, fears of physical effect are upstairs.  If you know it works for you mind you can easily work on the physical.. Maybe get a bath wink  only joking. Your post to me says that you have found a cure mentally.  If your not mentally there you will probably do more damage to your body becouse it's secondary concern.  Respect the drug and try methods to deal with the physical.  Sounds tbh like your close to the cure,  regress a little and remember the destruction your body took when your mind weren't right.  Your going in the right direction kidda but I aint a doctor.  Let us know 
    • Posted

Also weight gain is not down to pill, it's the appetite or hunger you desire,  you can't put weight on by taken a pill. It's a myth,  your gonna have to get strict on diet and don't give up, lil belly might bother you but a restless horrible dread that your are escaping will destroy you .  I also think a lot of people get comfortable when they find correct prescription,  but same happens when your hit a good relationship, or be comfortable in a new job...   Reality of it is you are probably feeling comfortable and that is is where every human nature wants to be.  Prob chatting rubbish but well done and get the gym wink 
  • Posted

Mind is more important than body, fears of physical effect are upstairs.  If you know it works for you mind you can easily work on the physical.. Maybe get a bath wink  only joking. Your post to me says that you have found a cure mentally.  If your not mentally there you will probably do more damage to your body becouse it's secondary concern.  Respect the drug and try methods to deal with the physical.  Sounds tbh like your close to the cure,  regress a little and remember the destruction your body took when your mind weren't right.  Your going in the right direction kidda but I aint a doctor.  Let us know 
  • Posted

When I say fat... Probably an over exaggeration. I'm a size 10... But I look permanently bloated. I'm a paediatric nurse, so I have to eat a substantial amount at work to keep energy up, but I've always eaten the same amount, and I'm walking non-stop 12.5 hours a day 4 days a week, so I just feel like my metabolism has slowed down or something? . The anxiety came on suddenly in jan and I went onto meds immediately, but I've probably put on a stone in 3 months? Which is a significant amount to put on over a short period, so i don't believe it's diet alone. I totally agree I would rather put on weight than go back to that horrible place again, but obviously in the ideal world I would rather stay slim and not have any mental health issues. Thanks for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.