Proper acid reflux diet ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys,so it's been 4 months since I've had acid reflux and I've been on and off Prilosec. The symptoms I have are shortness of breathe, burping, chest pressure pain and discomfort. Those symptoms have caused so many anxiety issues with me. But anyways I haven't been strict with the diet I'm supposed to follow but I want to now. I know some of the foods I'm supposed to avoid are chocolates, fried foods, carbonated drinks and stuff like that but I need help on actually having a meal plan something to follow on a daily basis so I can stop feeling this way. Can anyone help?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, use the "banned foods" list as suggestions. You actually need to determine your own particular trigger foods rather than think everything is bad for you.

Many people find they tolerate the foods you've mentioned without ill effect. Keep a food diary to see which are your particular triggers.

Fried and fatty foods are common triggers as they don't mix with acid and may reside in the stomach longer being sprayed with more acid that isn't neutralised until some bile may be admitted to act as an emulsifying agent.

There are books around and suggested diets if you want to waste your money.

If you want a FREE recipe book that has helped hundreds of acid reflux sufferers, head over to the www BarrettsWessex org uk charity website. Scroll down their "SALES" page until you find a picture of the "COOL FOOD" cookbook. If you click on the picture, you can download a free copy.

• Posted

I feel you my friend.  I have breathing problems, chest heaviness/Pressure and houseness.  I do have mild reflux/gastritis/sinus and mild acid on the back of my throat.  Taking Pantoprazole 40dr for 7-8 daays now and really can't say if I'm getting better or not. My sysmtoms are 16/7. The only time I don't have them is when I sleep or lay back.  Yes, I do nt get flare up, heartburn but I do burp a little.  I feel full by eating a little but I have also lost 50 pounds the last 2 years, frm a 36 belly to 30 so its obvious I will feel full eating less.  I do take medication for anxiety but a very low dose which my Phychistrist said once the chest problem is clear I can get off the medication. He did alow me to lower the dose and even stop it if I feel good doing it but he prefer I wait just in case.  Now, the medication I'm taking which is Diazepam is another reflux booster so maybe its part of the problem.  I have been eating better and elminated 90% of Gluten and Dairy and I eat lost of fruits and veggies.  I have my weight and the way I look now that I lost so much weight.  btw, when I eat is when it gets wrose and can't breath specially if I'm sitting on a table. If I lay back slightly is a little better.
    • Posted

I too only get the shortness of breathe and burping when I'm up and about. It's so weird. Just as I get out of my bed it all comes rolling in. Maybe could be anxiety related. Because when relaxed it seems to not be there. I don't ever wanna get on medication for anxiety. I'm trying to handle it naturally.
    • Posted

Actually, I can have the sysmptoms and lay back and they will go away.  My Phychiastrist said is positional and is a real chest reflux problem. Just yesterday I read something about Pile Reflux or something like that, can someone give me more details on this?  I don't have any of the regular relfux/gastritis symptoms besides a little bloating and losing weight which is obvious with the lack of eating heavier meals and fatty meals. So anxiety could worsen the problem, but is not initiating the problem every day.  I'm retired so I actualy have no work related anxiety, or ven family anxiety. Maybe just health anxiety.   I can be totally relaxed at home laying back, then I just get up to get some water and there comes the sysmptoms.  When I eat is ever worse, can't breath.
  • Posted

Hi

The thing with acid reflux is everyone's triggers are different they give us a rough idea like smoking, coffee, spicy foods etc. .. but I think the best thing to do is write a food diary and how it makes you feel after eating and get to know what your triggers are.

Hope that helps xx

• Posted

I should write a food diary but with me I seem to have the symptoms as soon as I wake up so its hard to Defrenciate what's causing these symptoms rolleyes but thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.