Prophylactic use of Flecainide

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have started to suffer from episodic AF (around once per month) and my cariologist has prescribed Flecainide for use in 'pill-in-the-pocket' mode. My AF seems to be triggered in certain circumstances and I wonder if anyone has experience of taking Flecainide as a prophylactic?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've been taking flecainide for nine years to reduce AF episodes. Initially 50mg morning and evening, then 100mg when I was under more pressure at work. Now I've retired and I asked to go back to 50mg. Still getting episodes of about once per month frequency, sometimes lasting several hours. Usually take an extra 50mg or two when an episode starts, or when I feel it is likely. My sensitivity and awareness of this has increased over the years, and I can sometimes exercise a certain amount of control through breathing techniques developed in yoga. I tried to go down to one 50mg tablet a day last Christmas, but I think that was a bad time of year, because of extra tensions, and the frequency of episodes, and their length, increased. Overall, though, flecainide has had none of the side effects associated with beta-blockers, and I feel in control of my AF. I don't feel inclined to go for ablation, though it has been suggested. Prefer to wait for perfection of laser treatment.:?
  • Posted

I've had two attempts at ablation and they didn't work because my heart refused to misbehave on the table. Could someone explain what the laser treatment is - I haven't heard of this before.
  • Posted

Using Flecainide as and when needed, how much do you take and how soon before it takes effect? I am taking 100mg night and morning but somehow seem to be getting more episodes of AF than before! Maybe taking as and when would be a better option for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.