Proponolol yes or no.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i have been weening of sertraline for the past 3/4 months on 12mg at the momment.

i took sertraline for about 5 mnths 75mg , it never helped me from the start, lots of side affects no change

in anxiety. its been terrible should never have taken it. with things going on in the world & my wifes health

my anxiety is through the roof, my GP as given me propronolol 10mg 2 three times a day. im very reluctant

to taking them because of the problems i have had with sertraline. dont want the same problem what do you think

is it worth taking or leave well alone. ?????????????

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

propranalol is good for physical symptoms of anxiety. it will help with

adrenaline rushes

shaking

and palpitations but it wont help with the mental side of things.

it's pretty safe to take but may need weaning off at higher doses. but not lower doses I think.

what side effects did zoloft give you of that's ok to ask? I hated it aswell.

• Posted

i had terrible migraine headaches, still have, dizzy spells, spaced out, went to 75mg for 12wks

i think it made my anxiety worse than it was. you dont know untill you try it, have been weening

slowly still felt terrible. ive been trying my hardest to control my anxiety, now im overthinking

& strugling. GP as given me proponolol have read so many negatives & some positives. Have you taken

them. i know we are all different but i dont want to pump my body with these drugs & regret it.

whats a low dose & would it help.

• Posted

If its to treat physical symptoms like palpitations 100% but if its more mental side of anxiety then it won't help.. Supposedly propranolol is used to treat migraines so it could help with that aswel. And Low dosage is 10mg but u can take it 3 times Aday

• Posted

propanolol will help you through the withdrawal from the sertraline. The slower you come off sertraline the less withdrawal effects you have so make each reduction a month apart. Prpranolol also helps with anxiety and will calm you, ive been taking propranolol for a few years now with only very slight side effects which only lasted for the first few days of taking it. Its also taken to prevent and reduce migraine. Hope that is helpful

• Posted

Thank you for that, did not know it helped with withdrawal from sertraline.

what side affects did you have, are you on a low dose, my GP as prescribed

two 10mg tablets 3 times a day, i thought this seemed quite an high dose but

i know nothing about this drug. Im a bit concerned about taking them & have to ween of them. Do you think its worth trying .

• Posted

propranolol generally have a calming effect, they are primarily a beta blocker but are prescribed for anxiety and many other conditions including tremors, anxiety etc.

i take 1 80mg slow release capsule each morning. i naturally have very low blood pressure typically 85/60 but the propranol had not affected that.

my initial effects were breathlessness on exertion and tiredness. However not everyone gets the same or even any side effects. i havent heard of anyone having any problems coming off them. Sertraline and similar drugs are notorious for causing withdrawal effects and it can be quite dangerous coming off them too abruptly. Hope that is helpful x

• Edited

propranolol is nothing like ssri tablets, as it doesn't alter the chemicals in your brain. It lowers your blood pressure and slows down your pulse and it helps protects your heart. I would recommend getting a blood pressure monitor because it made my blood pressure quite low that I got quite faint sometimes. But if your blood pressure gets too low ask to alter your dosage.

• Edited

Thank you, could i ask what dosage you were on & that made you feel faint.

what dosage do you take at the moment, does it help you with your anxiety.

is it worth trying. do you have any problems with you sex drive like sertraline.

sorry for all the questions dont know anything about this drug but sertraline

really did not agree with me & i have not been right for a number of months.

• Edited

I am no longer on regular propranolol, I used to take it when I was younger for anxiety and later again because I had blood clots in my lungs which used to give me terrible palpitations.

For anxiety I started on a lower dose than you and then took more if I would have a panic attack which I don't suffer with any more. I took propranolol more when I needed it than at regular times. I sometimes would get faint if I got up too quickly or if I got out of a hot bath. I had quite a low blood pressure back then naturally so that is why I would say it is good to regularly check your blood pressure just to keep an eye on it. When I had my blood clots, my blood pressure was quite high so it needed lowering, after they cleared up my bp went quite low again and I started noticing the dizziness again. It wasn't anything terrible for me just something to keep an eye on.

Propranolol should not affect your sex life in the same way ssris do as it isn't altering the chemicals in your brain which are linked with that. It is good to come off ssris, they caused me a lot of problems too. They can raise your insulin levels and make you put on weight quickly if you are insulin resistant. They made me more anxious when I took them, than before I went on them and I put on 2 and a half stone after being on paroxetine for just 5 months! I took paroxetine, fluoxetine and citalopram over the years I would never go back on any antidepressant again, I can understand why you may be sceptical of trying something else for your anxiety, but trust me, the side effects from propranolol are nothing like those antidepressants.

• Posted

I developed an irregular heartbeat 3 months after taking propranolol, feels like my heart takes a sudden jump, its terrifying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.