Propranolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

have just been given carbamazole 5mg x 2 a day until I see my endocrinologist in December. I am on propranolol x 10mg x 3 a day. Just a query- when do you stop propranolol? X

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Everybody is different.  My thyroid blood values were not too much out of whack and I was given Propranolol to take before all my tests were completed in order to stop the fast resting heart rate.  Once everything was completed, I was put on Methimazole, 10 mg once a day and once I was on that, didn't need the Propranolol. I am on 2.5 mg Methimazole daily now and occasionally have palpitations but I can't even take 1 full 10 mg pill of Propranolol or my blood pressure falls to 90/50.  So I take 1/4 or 1/2 only if I get palpitations.  You might want to ask your doctor what is best for you to do.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

If your doc has not told you to stop taking propranolol, carry on taking them

until she tells you to stop. Did she tell you to carry on with the propranolol aswell as taking the carbamazole?  Also, I see from another comment you are not sure when to take the carbamazole. Does it not tell you how to take them on the packet? If it is twice a day I would say one in the morning and one at night spread them out. Morning with brekki and before you go to bed.  But do check on the packet containing the meds. I you are unsure about what meds you are to take and when you take them ring your doc..but there should be instructions on how to take them on the packet.....best wishes..wink

• Posted

i would have thought best to ask your doctor that hun to be on the safe side.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

Yes, as I said check the med packet and if you are unsure about your meds ring your doc...best wishes..

• Posted

Thanks all- I got a tub with no instructions for the carbamazole  so am taking am and pm, thanks for all the responses. I will ring docs for advice re propranolol x
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

The pharmacy should have put your docs instructions on the tub!!...thats it ring your doc about the propranolol.....keep in touch...best wishes..

• Posted

Hi Amy, when i was on 10mg a day i would always split the dose am and pm, as you are doing already.When first put on Carbimazole and propranolol i was told that once my blood pressure and palps were under control i could come off the propranolol, but for some reason my blood pressure was always on the high side ,as my bloods fluctuated somewhat for about 18 months.I did try several times to wean off the propranolol but always ended up going back to it.

I am now in remission after 2 1/2 years and did manage to come off the propranolol a little while before weaning off the carbimazole.It's early days yet, but so far my bloods are all good.

It's always wise to check with your doctor, and when you do stop using the propranolol make sure you do it under your doctors advise as you can't just stop you need to gardually reduce especially if you have been on it for some time.

Wishing you all the best

Kathy.

• Posted

Thanks everyone

the carbamazole I'm taking 11am and 6pm but I think the endocrinologist will probably up my dose when I finally go! Going to keep on the propranolol- cut down to two yesterday and felt awful this morning! Picked up my thyroid results but unsure what they mean

TSH level- 0.01

Free T4- 18.06 pmol/l

free t3- 8.04 pm ol/l

any ideas? X is that very high/low? 

• Posted

Amy do you have the lab sheet for these results?  Usually on a lab sheet report they show your results and right beside them they show the range of normal values.  When you ask a question like this, you need to give the ranges for your lab as each lab is different.  Your TSH is low indicating you have hyperthyroidism.   The Free T3 and Free T4 appear to be responding to your medication, however by my lab's ranges are still a little high.  Your Endo will probably raise the Carbimazole.  I find that patient's who do research, and make their own choices based on that research do better than those who don't.  For example, when I was diagnosed, my values were not too excessively out of range and the 10 mg of Methimazole lowered my Free T3 and Free T4 to the middle of the normal range.  However, my TSH remained at less than 0.01 for 2 years until I added L-Carnitine and then Acetyl-L-Carnitine to my meds.  I did this based on a research paper I read.  However, most docs do not know about L-Carnitine and don't want to learn.  My TSH went into the normal range as well as my other two values and I have been able to lower my Methimazole to 2.5 mg daily and hopefully soon to stop it.  You can search the Internet and see more information on L-Carnitine.  The Acetyl-L-Carnitine raised my TSH faster than the regular L-Carnitine.  I started at a lost dose, one 500 mg capsule a day.  Had I not done this, my TSH would still have been less than 0.01 and my docs would be pushing me to have Radioactive Iodine therapy.  Carnitine is an amino acid that is normally found in the body but gets depleted in hyperthyroidism.  This is available as a supplelment at health food stores.
  • Posted

Sorry, I meant to say I started on a low dose not a lost dose.
  • Posted

Thanks Linda thats really interesting! I will check out health food shops. 

the lab  sheet States tsh 0.01 my/l ( 0.40-5.00) LOW

Free t4 level-  18.6 pmol/L ( 9.0-19)

Free t3 level- 8.04 pmol/L ( 2.60-5.70) HIGH

Any advice or comments appreciates xx

• Posted

To clarify, a low TSH indicates hyperthyroidism

A high TSH indicates hypothyroidism

A high FT3 or FT4 indicates hyperthyroidism

A low FT3 or FT4 indicates hypothyroidism

Some people find that confusing but that's the way it is.

• Posted

I've just ordered some x
    • Posted

Keep us posted.  When I started on the Carnitines, I started low with just one capsule to see how I tolerated it and then adjusted to taking more or less based on my blood work and how I felt.  I let my doc adjust my methimazole as this was his job.  Some people take too many things and at high doses thinking if it is good more is better.  For me I want to know how things affect me so I add one at a time.  I also take vitamin D, 1,000 units a day because I was deficient in this and this showed up on tests.  I also got my Free and Total Carnitine levels tested because I wanted to know where they were at before I started supplementing with it and they were low as well as they are with most hyperthyroid patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.