Propranolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor gave me 10 mg of propranolol for anxiety and she said it was ok to take with my bp. My bp ranges from 95/70 to sometimes 102/70 when my anxiety gets up. My pulse is usually around 75 resting and once I get up and my heart palpitations are bothering me at 75 beats per minute and I feel like I need to get up and move around which is like an akathesia feeling, my heart rate will go over 100, usually 104 -110 when I have to get up and walk around. Should I take 5mg or 2.5 mg just to see how it does since my bp can run low and my resting heart rate is 95/75 - 90/70? I have the sweaty palms and headache also during these times. My Paxil is not working anymore and it's causing this anxiety.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi tonia, i say go ahead and use the 10mg once or twice or even three times a day.  it took me time to feel comfortable about taking it but it really eased my anxiety symptoms.
    • Posted

What about your blood pressure? What was your bp range before you started taking it?

Thanks for replying neh77843

• Posted

can't remember figures but my blood pressure has been "normal" throughout the whole process.  a low dose with the 10mg is unlikely to have a huge effect on any vital stats i think.
    • Posted

the usual, as far as i have read about these meds: heart rate became more stable, hands and feet a bit colder than before.  generally most of my anxiety physical symptoms became much easier to deal with.  i think the meds affected my mood, i would feel low more often, but nothing extreme.  to be perfectly honest i think i worried about the  effects of the meds more than the meds actually caused me trouble.  i used 2x 10mg for about 6 months and have recently quit them very slowly over 2 weeks.  feeling fine now, still dealing with anxiety symptoms but i now understand my condition more than before, when these weird unsettling symptoms would constantly spark my worry.   i am finding everything feels a lot better now and i am very grateful for having had those meds to hand when i felt i needed them.  from what i read though, the mindfulness experiences seem to be the most powerful technique - but first we need to calm ourselves down enough to think rationally and carry out a disciplined routine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.