Propranolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been prescribed propranolol 80 mg for anxiety but I'm too scared to take them has anyone had any bad experience from them

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey there.  I am deathly afraid of any medication after a few bad side effects from hearts meds a few years back.  My doctor gave me propranolol for my anxiety.  He actually gave me the low dose of 10mg.  Seems like your doctor could start you out low, just like I did, just to test the waters for side effects.  So far so good for me.  I hear about people just like us who say that this med has been a life-saver for them.  Let me know how it works out for you.  Everyone is different.
  • Posted

Emma,

I have been on propranolol 40mg three times a day for about 4 months now. I was put on them for anxiety and had what I would describe as a week of hell / mini breakdown caused by stress. Once prescribed propranolol I was very worried about taking them as I was in a distressed state as it was.

My wife put me under orders to man up and take them, which I did and they made a massive positive difference, don't be scared, give them time and take them as prescribed.

The only side effect I had for the first week or so was problems sleeping, but that was probably my general stress levels and NOT propranolol.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I am also having this same worry, mainly due to what I have been reading about people who have taken propanalol and the fact that i was once told i had very low blood pressure when i was in a situation that scared me, and as propanalol can cause low blood pressure this makes me very fearful of taking the drug when i may already have low blood pressure at times. The side effects listed worry me, I am contacting my doctor for advice on taking them I would suggest you do the same if you havent. Have you yet taken them?

Kind Regards,

James

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.