Propranolol and coffee

Posted , 3 users are following.

Took my first dose of propranolol today then read no caffeine. My Dr. didn't say anything about not drinking caffeine. I have my whole adult life I'm 52. It doesnt effect me. In fact I can go back to sleep after a couple of cups. I'm taking propranolol because of very recent spike in bp. Have had an extremely stressful month. Anxiety attacks. Always have had anxiety. Anyone else drink coffee still? Any side effects from it. It says on the web that it can increase you blood pressure if taken with this med.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had no idea you weren't supposed to have caffeine on beta blockers. I have been on and off propranolol for years and still had a bit of caffeine. I drink tea and have the odd diet coke here and there. How much caffeine do have? If you have a lot, then maybe cut down, but I am sure a cup of coffee here and there won't hurt. Double check with your doctor though because I was on it for a different reason than you.

• Posted

When i Googled propranolol everyone of them said no caffeine. But I'm almost positive if i call my dr today he will say don't ever google meds because the info is wrong. Because i always look up side effects and other info on whatever I'm taking and if i tell my dr that I'm concerned over something i read he tells me not to read it. But I probably shouldn't worry about it since he didn't warn me not to drink caffeine. Then just moniter my bp i guess.

• Posted

Don't take your blood pressure straight after caffeine though because it will spike, wait a couple of hours after your coffee or before you have had any for a more accurate reading.

• Posted

I had no idea! Ive been on 80MG a day for about 10 Years and i drink lots of coffee. I blend the beans and have about 6/7 REAL coffees a day and no spikes. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.