Propranolol and ecg/24 hr monitor, should I stop?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I was prescribed 40mg x 2 propranolol  last thursday for palps/anxiety/migraine prevention.

I am due an ecg tomorrow but forgot to ask if I should not take the Propranolol as it may affect the results?

My palps have greatly reduced with the first tablet I took so I am concerned they wont show on the ecg?

many thanks

Sue

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sue,

Don't stop the propranolol - it shouldn't affect things, although you could mention it to them. I am on the same dose as you, for migraine and heart murmur. I also suffer from palpitations, but mostly in the evening. An ecg is very quick, so they are unlikely to pick up palpitations. Don't be disappointed, as they are looking for more serious flaws like arrhythmia etc.  Palpitations are caused by nerves/anxiety, so it's best to try to ignore them. The fact that they've reduced with the tablets is a good sign - it implies that they are caused by nerves, not a bad heart.

All the best, Helen

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response Helen, much appreciated!

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.