Propranolol and Flying Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have a huge fear of flying but this weekend I have to go on a very long flight for work (an 11 hour flight followed by a 4 hour flight).

In the past I have tried hypnotherapy which didn't work and diazepam which had literally no effect.

I have now been prescribed propranolol along with a sleeping tablet, zopiclone. The problem is that I'm really anxious about taking the propranolol due to the fact that I have a low resting heart rate (usually mid 40s due to the fact I do a lot of exercise). I've been given 28 10mg tablets and 56 40mg tablets. I was told to test them before the flight so I tried a 10mg tablet last week and 20mg this morning. The problem is that I felt more anxious once I'd taken them because I was paranoid they were going to have a negative side effect..... And when I went swimming (after the 10mg dose) I couldn't go at my usual pace and felt breathless.

My questions are:

Has anyone else tried this for flying?

How long does propranolol take to have an effect after you take it?

How long does the effect last for?

Could it be dangerous to someone with a resting heart rate in the 40s?

Thanks, I really am so worried about this flight.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

I’m prescribed to all the tablets you have told me, along with sertraline for anxiety

I found that all diazepam does is make you drowsy and more paranoid, so I would not recommend that. Have you tried the zopiclone? Because I found that works a treat! 

propranolol didnt not work that much for me. I remember during a severely depressive state, I took 6 of them at once along with multiple over the counter tablets to try and put myself to sleep and never wake up. I felt fine and woke up the next day feeling fine. I recently just come back from a holiday which was an 8 hour flight. Zopiclone took me straight out from taking it one hour before take off. I slept all the way through the end and do not remember the flight at all. 

I know my situation is a little different to yours as I’m not sure about heart rate, but I hope it helps in some way. 

I’m sure you have now had this flight and il be interested to hear your experience. 

Take care! 

• Posted

Hi,

I’ve just started taking 10mg 3 times a day for anxiety. I noticed a massive difference personally, I’m much more relaxed day to day. However, at the gym I’ve noticed I’m slightly out of breath but for me it is a small price to pay for the relaxed feeling I get from them. Plus I am considerably less fit than you and dread to think what my resting heart rate is!

Good luck with your flight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.