Propranolol and hair loss

Posted , 27 users are following.

After just a couple  Of months with 25 mg per day, I experience a massive hair loss. Even diarrhoea, even if that might be caused by other things. When I started with medication, I read about the side effects including the hair loss. I was hoping it wouldn't affect me. I have a tendency to alopecia, but the hair always comes back to the bald spots. This is something else. Is there someone here who has experienced this and can give me some advice? Thx in advance.

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, i know its been a while from the post, but i also used this med for 15 days after a traumatic event and had horrible diahrea.

2weeks after stopping i noticed a bald spot. and I'm still waiting for it to grow, on month 3 since i noticed it. i feel horrible and cant stand how it makes me feel. i will up my biotin.

• Posted

hi, I know its a very late post, still thought to participate. I was prescribed this med 40mg on last August and and i came off from the med in end of October. In the 1st week of december i saw first bald patch on my head and within 4 weeks of time i've lost 70% of my thick, dark brown hair. I went to dermatologist and he doesnt think its the regular Alopecia they deal with. I have no family history of hair loss. I strongly beleive this is the reason behind it and patiently waiting to see some miracle. I was wondering how are now?

• Posted

hi I only stick to 20 mg thinning of hair but not too much medication out weighs hair loss they are amazing for me

• Posted

did anyone ever get any answers for this? i know this was years ago but im facing the same thing and ive got no answers 😦 ive been off propanolol for nearly a year and my hair hasnt returned, all tests came back clear for everything else!

• Posted

hi,

hope youre well? i just wondered how your getting on with you hair loss?

xx

• Posted

I have been on propranolol for migraines since 2014 . Started with 40 mg then to 80 mg., never had a problem till last few months. Over half my hair has fallen out. I am thinking serabout Rogaine hair products. My aunt started useing it several years ago and it worked. Her hair loss was age related. Has anyone tried this?

• Posted

Hi linda25028 . I am on propranolol too, as a migraine preventive. Started in June 2022 (10mg twice daily) and increased to 20mg (morning) & 10mg (night) daily since Nov 2022. Noticed in Nov that my hair has started thinning. Hair loss is a lot more now in Jan 2023!

My neurologist has advised me to reduce the propranolol dosage and my dermatologist has prescribed Minoxidil. Have been using it for 3 weeks but hair is still falling.

Sadly, the reduced propranolol dosage is causing more headaches now 😦

Has your hair loss improved? Did you try out Rogaine or reduce your propranolol?

• Posted

I've been stopped taking Propranolol for 2 months and still struggling with hair loss ,i just wanna know how long does it take for my hair to stop falling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.