Propranolol and hair loss

Posted , 27 users are following.

After just a couple  Of months with 25 mg per day, I experience a massive hair loss. Even diarrhoea, even if that might be caused by other things. When I started with medication, I read about the side effects including the hair loss. I was hoping it wouldn't affect me. I have a tendency to alopecia, but the hair always comes back to the bald spots. This is something else. Is there someone here who has experienced this and can give me some advice? Thx in advance.

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Conta10/All,

My 9 year old son had a cardiac arrest just over 3 weeks ago and he was later diagnosed with having Long QT Syndrome. An ICD was fitted and we were advised he would need to take Propanolol for the rest of his life (praying this won't be the case)

Last week i noticed a bald patch at the back of his head. Hoping this is not down to the meds??? Going to ask the Drs if my son can either go on a low med or see if they can stop him taking it completley, as i really don't want him going through any other dreadful side affects!

• Edited

So glad I finally have an answer. My husband passed away unexpectedly last August and I was such a mess I asked for anxiety meds. I have always had very thick hair and have been losing it at an alarming rate. I see scalp and have stopped washing my hair as often as I normally would because of even more hair loss in the comb out. I just thought to look up medications I am taking and the culprit seems to be  Propranolol. At least now I cant stop taking this stuff. Hopefully my hair comes back- it is so thin it is making me self conscious. Thanks to all that shared this feedback. We need to report to our pharmacist so it is added as a KNOWN side effect.
    • Edited

Hi Susan just wanted to say try not to worry,I stopped propranolol 4 months ago and finally all my hair is growing back as thick as it was.i had bald patches because of propranolol and abit of blurred vision..hope life’s starting to get better for you.take care 
    • Posted

i am noticing the exact same hair loss concern after washing long hair and the comb out too. Been taking this medicine daily since Aug 2021 and will be reporting it to the pharmacist.

• Posted

I hope it's okay for a guy to post on this discussion.  I don't have baldness in my family; never had a problem until this past year.  I just chalked it up to getting older (53).  I've been taking 40 mg Propranolol for the past year, and the front/top of my head has been rapidly balding.  After seeing this discussion, I am 100% convinced it's because of this medication.  Does anyone know if it might be possible for a guy's hair to re-grow?  BTW, thanks So much for all your posts!

• Posted

Hi Mike, I am taking 20mg of propranolol and I am starting to notice the Diffuse Alopecia in my forehead,

Possible cause of the hair loss may be something called "Telogen effluvium" (TE)

I cite this paper (http://www.astrocyte.in/article.asp?issn=2349-0977;year=2014;volume=1;issue=2;spage=80;epage=83;aulast=Garg)

"The most common group of drugs responsible for hair loss in our study was antihypertensives. Atenelol and metoprolol were implicated in 2% patients each in our study. Propranolol and nebivolol were implicated in 1% patients each. Propanolol [6],[7],[8] and metoprolol [9] may produce diffuse alopecia by causing telogen effluvium. "

What I have done is to start using topic Minoxidil. This is my 1st week so don't know the result yet

https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/2017/7/13/minoxidil-for-telogen-effluvium-do-i-need-to-use-it-forever

• Posted

Took being on 30 mg / daily for a week for mine to completely change texture and start shedding.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment. I am wondering if I were to go off of the Propranolol, if the hair would regenerate?
    • Posted

Hi mike,I have very thick dark long hair,I was only on 40mg of propranolol for 5 wks and lost 3/4 of all my hair.it was so devastating.i suffered with panic attacks and the propranolol did help with it.but I came off it because of the hair loss,it’s taken 8 months to grow back,but be reassured,it does grow back when you stop..good luck 
  • Posted

I started propane 20mg 5 months ago and my weight ballooned and my thick beautiful hair is falling out horribly. I was told to take Biotin, and the shampoo someone else here recommended. I'm sick over this. I take it for hand tremors, due to Lithium, but I cut the lithium in half, so I am down to the 20mg propanol. my hair falls out in handfuls in the shower, it's all over my bed, my car, my clothes, my carpets, everywhere. I'm going to start the biotin, the shampoo and hopefully get off of this medication. How are you doing?

• Posted

Been on Propranolo for many years (40mg x2 day )and not had any symptoms of hair loss.......magic drug for migraine !!!

• Posted

Been on 40mg twice a day for over 6 years, no hair loss noticed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.