Propranolol and migraine

Posted , 40 users are following.

Just to say how well this drug has worked for me, I have been on it for about 6 months now. I spent years resisting taking a preventative migraine drug, maintaining that I only needed to take my Sumatriptan when I had a migraine. But the frequency of the migraines increased, even though I had given up work. Finally I went to the doctor who prescribed propranolol, 1x40mg tablet twice a day. Even though the Dr said it would take time to build up in my system and start working; I noticed an effect from the morning after the first pill. Previously I nearly always woke up feeling stuffy, having to move around gently until the 'potential' headache disappeared, likewise during the day I would have to be careful of things that would trigger a migraine. Now I wake up feeling absolutely fine and am able to get on with life. The only side effect is that I do wake up more during the night, however I seem to need less sleep and have gained at least an hour of useful time each day. I do still get the odd migraine, but they are less severe than before and I recover faster. I also still avoid my triggers like lactose, alcohol and too many late nights.

3 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone       

I have suffered with with cluster headaches for almost ten years.   With the help of Sumatriptan, I have been able to cope with most to a fashion but others have put me in bed for a day.   The following day I feel as though I am recovering from a nasty illness, weak and shaky.    I have read in research that cluster headaches tend to "die off" once you reach 70 but here I am at 71 and if anything they seem to have got slightly worse.     This prompted me to visit my doctor today to see if there was perhaps something else I could take.    He has prescribed Propranolol 40mg twice daily which will be an ongoing medication if it works.    I have to say I was very concerned about having to take what could potentially be a lifelong tablet but you guys have put my mind at rest with your remarks, with the exception perhaps of the likelihood of possible weight gain!!!!      I will let you all know how I get on.    In the meantime fellow sufferers, I wish you well

Tiny

• Posted

Hi all, i have had headaches for as long as i can remember, I'm 20 now. before, my headaches were once or twice a week, however up until 18 months or so ago,they've  happened every day, not helped by me taking 6 paracetamol every day to take the pain away. I was prescribed half-beta prograne propranolol last week, one a day, and have had mixed success with them at first i had the worst migraine imaginable however the next day i never had a headache all day, it felt fantastic! However since then ive still been getting them, they are normally taken away with aspirin but i don't want to keep taking painkillers everyday. Is there a better time to take the propranolol? As i take it first thing in the morning, however ive already got a light headache by then and it wont affect my headache unless i take painkillers, is it perhaps better to take them at night before i go to bed? Cheers. 
  • Posted

Hi

Ive been taking propranolo 40gm x twice a day for two weeks now, they have helped a lot but i,am still getting a dull headache on a daily bases! i also feel really tierd ,heavy headed, unsteady and generally unwell, this can last 4 to 5 hours then its suddenly goes, this is worrying me a lot. I notice your still getting the headaches even though your taking the same tablets. is their other people that are the same? does this get better? I hope you dont mind me repling to you.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

Hi Pamela

Yes, i do still get the occasional headache, but nowhere near as bad as they used to be!

As for the tiredness and generally unwellness i am unsure. All i can say is that i felt strange for the first month of taking them, but these symptoms dissapered after a while. Like all medication, it takes some time for your body to adjust and the issues to resolve ie the headaches.

If you are still worried i would go back and speak to the GP about these side effects.

Keep well

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate 

Thank you so much for your reply, it does make people feel better knowing theirs others going through similar things.

I've been to the Doctor this morning, he thinks I've not been on the tablets long enough to make an decision as to weather their working or not yet! He's put me on a higher dose of 80mg slow release to see how I get on with that.

I have had a scan which came back clear but these migraines came from nowhere, the only thing I can think of is I started with these headaches and dizziness after hearing a very very loud noise that made me fall over! The day after this is how I became.

I will update on here for other people looking for help too after the two week timescale he's given me with this strength.

Thank you again.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

For some reassurance. I was prescribed slow release propranolol 80mg 3 months ago. At first they were very much hit and miss. Now i am seeing much more consistent effects, my headaches are now down to a minumum, they aren't completely gone, but when they do crop up they are normally disappear with two paracetamol.  I have at least one or two days a month where no matter what i try the headache wont go away, not excruciatingly sore, more of a cant be bothered to do anything sore. Id much rather them once or twice a month compared to 4 or 5 days a week.

I felt the same as you when i first started takung them, i thought they had no effect, but honestly just hang in there, as you will get good results once you get used to them, took me a good while. Also the tiredness gradually eases off, as does the very strange dreams. Its very much a getting used to process for your whole body. 

• Posted

Thank you for telling me that, it does help.

I have been having strang dreams! That's when I get to sleep..... Hope that gets better too.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi sorry to bother you.... im ment to start on propanolol today as I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks alot its came to the point where I feel like im constantly in a dream.... I have always paniced about taking tablets and im really scared if they make me feel dizzy, light headed, woozy or strange in anyway..... my doctor has told me they work within 15 minutes and if im that unsure just to try one... but I still cant get the guts to take one and was browsing on here last night and seen all these comments about it and thought maybe you could help me if possible??? X
    • Posted

hi can i poke my nose in and say that i have all your symptoms if i dont take propranolol....i take 40mg in morning cos i always wake up in a panic and 40mg at night...i usually get side effects from drugs but i found that at first with propranolol i feel a little sleepy and weary with them but the help they have given me has opened up my world immensely. i still have rough times with anxiety "days" instead of anxiety always...sp please dont be frightened of taking them, they may make you feel a bit slowed down at first but trust me they are wonderful things. and they arent addictive...it is natural to feel afraid of taking meds, its part of the being "frightened"..feelings of anxiety...you will see how quickly they will help you with your horrible symptoms of generl anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi, I eventually took half of one (20mg) yesterday and it made be feel slow but I was gobsmacked how I was actually calm and relaxed about it.... also got a lil head ache but not sure if it was the tablet. I couldnt take another as  my doctor is going to give me a lower dose of 10mg and take me up gradually. Will the slowness go away? x
    • Posted

i can only answer you from my own experience, i take 40mg morning and 40mg at night...my slowness never went away...tired and dozey, bit slow reactions and at first bit headachey and bit light headed but to be honest with you they are so good for anxiety and arent a tranquilizer that i was so relieved to feel a lot calmer that i accepted that the other side effects were not serious and liveable. the only thing i noticed was that when they wear off(like a painkiller) sometimes i still get palpitations etc until i take the next one. so if you ever go away from home for long periods...always take them with you cos the effect builds up in you and you then find that you feel a lot better more often, if you keep them going regularly. sometimes i forget to take one and i feel so ill and panicky and surreal, i thin k "did i take one today?" my symptoms soon tell me!..and shortly after i take one they go away again..so as i said they are brill little pills. but you may find on such a small dose as 10mg, that they arent strong enough to hit your level of anxiety on the head....dont think they are useless let the doc increase your dose until you feel they are managing your symptoms well with least side effects.
    • Posted

Thanks so much.... I took a 20mg in the morning yesterday about 9am but they didnt feel as they work properly till 2p rolleyes but I was amazed how normal I felt and I didnt have any side effects like I did with my first one. didnt take one last night....woke up this morning and now I feel all panicky and not myself im assuming this is because its out of my system? if I took one at night aswell would that help me in the morning? X
    • Posted

yes they usually last (i find), about 10 hours before i get symptoms again...and also the more regularly you take them the calmer you will feel as they are getting into your system better...just keep going, i dont honestly think you will feel any drastic side effects at all.  its just your nerves making you analyse every feeling you get....they are quite "kind" meds.  you will get a continuing effect if you take in morning and night, so hopefully you will feel" normal" for longer. give them a week and see how much better you feel, also your body will be more used to them too.
    • Posted

Hi I took one yesterday at 8... I felt really rubbish all day... but not sure if that was because I slept only 5 hours or the meds..... but about 3-4 clock I felt I wasnt with it for about an hour or 2 which I hate. I really dont know what to do...  im scared of taking one again. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.