Propranolol and weight gain

Posted , 69 users are following.

Hi

I have been taking this drug for over 6 months now. 40mg twice a day The cluster headaches that have plagued my life are now down to a bare minimum.....(not totally gone away) and manageable.

HOWEVER! I have gained about 1.5 stone in weight, particularly round my middle. This is highly unusual for me.

My GP states this is NOT a recognised side effect and I simply must be eating more due to feeling better! As my eating habits have not changed at all, I find this very hard to accept. If I am to take this drug for the rest of my days, At this rate I will be enormous!

PLEASE…can anyone help/confirm/reassure me that this is only a temporary side effect?

cry

Thank you

7 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi.  I have just had my dosage of propranolol increased from 20mg twice a day to 40mg twice a day for a heart arrythmia.  Since taking propranolol my weight has increased from 9 stone to 11 stone 6 pounds and this is just over 7 months. My weight is all round my middle too.  My GP and consultant have both told me the weight gain is because my metabolism has slowed down and my diet is poor.  I mainly eat salad and chicken and vegetables and I make fruit smoothies every day so I would hardly say I have a poor diet.   The weight gain is getting me down as I am uncomfortable with weight I'm carrying and I am also extremely tired as well.  I
    • Posted

Hi Lindsey

I too have been concerned with this issue. Coincidently i have a meds review a few weeks ago and saw a locum GP. I mentioned the weight gain, especially round my abdomen and she did agree, although hastily said their was no medical research to back up these claims.

She then asked which was better, horrific migraines or being fat?

No support there then!

Keep well

• Posted

i have been on propanalol for migraine for 5 months - 3 times a day in 30,20,20mg doses - was on higher but it caused extreme lethargy and depression but headaches came back when i stopped taking it altogether. i have gained a whole stone in weight round my middle and gone up a dress size. its really affecting how i feel about myself and the lack of ooomph in my life caused by the propanalol slowing me down is really causing me an upset.i used to be really active but i can be in bed by 8 nowadays and find i get tired very quickly - choice - headaches back or get fatter and more of a couch potatoe - i also get terrible chest butterflys and am breathless - the doc just shrugs ! 
  • Posted

I have been on propranolol for 9 mths and have gone up 2 dress sizes!! SOO DEPRESSING! Nothing else has changed with my diet- so I do attribute it to the drug. Early January I got sick with the stomach flu and missed a daily dose or 2 and had HORRIBLE side effects! I started shaking - badly- almost convulsing! I realized then how strong the drug really is. Since January I have been reducing the dosage from 120mg daily to 80mg, and now down to 40mg. I am getting ready to half it again. I want to get my body back!! This weight around the middle feels VERY ABNORMAL. It's hard to explain- but it doesn't feel natural. I also feel very constipated; perhaps that's where the trouble lies with this drug! I hope and pray if I got off it I will drop the weight! Has any body heard if that's the case? ? On the flip side...I have had little to no migraines on propranolol. A true miracle! I just can't stand this unnatural weight on my body.
  • Edited

Hi, i have been on Propanalol for 3 months, only a low dose of 10mg a day but since starting them i have put on weight like everyone else especially round my middle area, i have stayed the same weight for years and my eating habbits have not changed at all so i know its the meds that are doing it also do not sleep very well any more, crazy dreams and get very hot at night. i don't feel i can stand it anymore so taking myself of them and going back to Atenalol
    • Posted

May I ask how old you are? I am 45; Since starting these meds I have not only gained 20 lbs AND I have nite sweats, now I've stopped my monthly period!! I think it's early menopause. ..but now I'm wondering if propranolol brought these symptoms on and threw me into a menopausal state!?
    • Edited

Hi there NatMarie. I am a young 50 year old who has always been able to control my weight. If I have ever put on a couple of pounds or so as one may by going on holiday, I have been able to drop it quite quickly. So when I was put on propananol, I felt the weight going on almost immediately ! I was already menopausal suffering with night sweats etc but I must admit, this drug helped to relieve the symptoms ! However I was not comfortable with the extra weight. Since I stopped taking it, I feel better SBD after 2 months, I have noticed my abdominal bloating reduce. I have now told my doctor and my blood pressure is now OK. I hope you find the right solution for you . Let me know x
    • Posted

Hi Nat i'm 50, i definatly think the weight gain is due to the tablets, i have terrible night sweats too, i had been on Atenalol for 15 years and they suited me really well but the last few years had been feeling really tired all the time so the doctors thought a change of meds may improve symptoms, i really think i should just have lowered my dose insted of changing to this terrible drug, i'm not sure about your menopause, i had a very early one due to eptopic pregnancies, i would really speak to your Doctor about seeing if you can change to something else and see if it makes a difference, i think reading posts like jill26927's below says it all about the weight, my stomach is so bloated to and feel very uncomfortable, enough is enough for me, please keep in touch Jill and let me know how you get on smile
    • Posted

Wow! That's pretty scary. I will be 44 soon. Been taking propranonol for A year now. I take 160 mg /day. What did your doctors say about this ? 

• Edited

I am so glad that I have seen this thread, I have been on propananol since November last year, 20mg per day for anxiety, I have put 1 and half stones on! All around my middle. I just can't believe it! None of my clothes fit and I feel so uncomfortable. I am just going to stop taking now but worried as it states that you can have a heart attack when stopping! I eat all healthy and excersise daily and yoga 3 times a week! Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the weight to come off after stopping?
    • Posted

Hi there. Go and see your doctor and get him to check your blood p again. I stopped taking propananol because I knew there was a connection with my weight gain and I just couldnt stand it any longer ! I saw my doctor and had my bp taken several days after stopping. It was normal and am quite sure that it should never have been prescribed to me. I had been going through a stressful period . Since stopping, my abdominal weight is reducing , slowly but surely. Hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Hi I started this post a year ago and have to say thank you to all that have responded what a great support to know your not alone with this side effect, I have from jan this year stopped taking propranolol I was on 40mg when required for severe anxiety I cut myself down to half then every other day now I'm completely off. I would never suggest anyone to stop without consulting your gp but for me the apparent weight gain was making anxieties worse!! I'm gradually losing the extra weight gained , it's such a Shane that GP are not recognising this as a genuine effect from this medication because in so many ways it's helped me so much. I hope I can continue my life without it and I'll continue to try and find alternate ways to help with my social anxiety
    • Posted

I've been off propranolol for a few weeks & I feel like my blood pressure is back to normal! My period is back as well- no more menopausal symptoms! I can Exercise at a normal pace again, although the extra weight is still holding me back a bit. I haven't noticed weight loss, but the lack of bloating makes me feel 10x better!

I did take 10mg one day when I felt the headache coming on...that was just enough to keep it in check without causing adverse effects.

So glad to be off it! Looking forward to dropping lbs soon I hope!

Natalie

• Posted

Hi Sherry

So glad you have found a resolution, and i wish you good health and happiness.

I too told my GP about the weight gain, but she dismissed it.......instead she referred me to the local gym and pool! LOL really funny to try and excersise when you have a thumping headache and have gained a lot of weight!

But i stay positive, with my loving family supporting me

KEEP WELL SHERRY X

• Posted

Hello all....

The 'weight' gain that most pharmacutecals put on is ACTUALLY WATER RETENTION..  The worst for this are anti-psycotics/and most anti-depressants.......I am on (not a water gainer) venlafaine/effexor/sedatives-ATM.....

I speak from experience and research....

So many doctors are told by pharmacutecal companies that meds are 'safe'...

Doctors 'warn' clients to watch their diet....They still have not learnt about water retention......

When one stops the medication off comes the supposed 'weight'.. Before I knew it was water, and I could not eat for days and no 'weight' dropped.....I was even attending the gym 3 x times a week....... After stopping the medication, I dropped two dress sizes in 10 days....age 48 yrs...

It does get harder to drop as one ages..I recently had to use them for 3 x months and even though I could barley eat I went up two sizes... I am 62 yrs and after 4 x weeks I am still waiting to drop the water......I am now on water pills and will get some herbs for my kidney...

- I AM PRAYING FOR IT TO COME OFF SOON...I WANT TO WEAR MY NICE CLOTHES  :-)  ...

​Namaste..

• Posted

Hello all....

The 'weight' gain that most pharmacutecals put on is ACTUALLY WATER RETENTION..  The worst for this are anti-psycotics/and most anti-depressants.......I am on (not a water gainer) venlafaine/effexor/sedatives-ATM..... I am trying nootropics to find what combo will get me off anti-depressants-which actually stop the nutrient from rebuilding...

I speak from experience and research....

So many doctors are told by pharmacutecal companies that meds are 'safe'...

Doctors 'warn' clients to watch their diet....They still have not learnt about water retention......

When one stops the medication off comes the supposed 'weight'.. Before I knew it was water, and I could not eat for days and no 'weight' dropped.....I was even attending the gym 3 x times a week....... After stopping the medication, I dropped two dress sizes in 10 days....age 48 yrs...

It does get harder to drop as one ages..I recently had to use them for 3 x months and even though I could barley eat I went up two sizes... I am 62 yrs and after 4 x weeks I am still waiting to drop the water......I am now on water pills and will get some herbs for my kidney...

- I AM PRAYING FOR IT TO COME OFF SOON...I WANT TO WEAR MY NICE CLOTHES  :-)  ...

​Namaste..

• Posted

Namaste

Thanks for your post. I have tried 3 days without this med and didn't feel well, I only take 10mg once a day but my anxiety peeked, I have put a stone on and all on my middle, sometimes my eyes and lip swells, only happened since taking propananol but GP says I have developed an allergy and it's not the tablets, going on holiday soon and none of my clothes fit. Can you get water retention tablets to help?

• Posted

Hi..clothes not fitting is SO DEPRESSING......

are you on this for anxiety??????..

you cannot stop this cold turkey....Prop, like anti-depressants, affect the neurotransmitters...

cold turkey these and withdrawal symptoms set in-which you seem to be experiencing........

Try cutting out 1/4 of the amount -use 4 x days...Then cut 1/4 of the 7.5 mg and so on...When down to the last 1/4 tablet, cut in half and use for a few days.....Hopefully by then it will have reduced trauma of neurotransmitters...

.Re-allergy.. I believe your doc is in denial...

After all-he/she has been told it is ok to take...............

.I came across this site, as I wanted to know if prop put on water retention....sure does  :-( ..

I was to use it at very low dose for anxiety, in an attempt to help me sleep........My sedatives are not shutting down my brain.............

.Now I am back to searching nootropics-they cross the brain barrier..... They work for anxiety/foggy brain/depression and use for 'get up and go'/etc...........

I am on water retention tablets now, as what I was taking(and have used before), and have stopped, has not yet dropped the water.. I used to drop all the water in 10 days....this time I need help.... Doc gave me 'Indapamide'.....She said it should start kicking in approx two weeks......

Nootropics I am using now have given me some more energy/motivation, which cuts daily anxiety..  The 'sedative' ones are not strong enough to allow my mind to relax to sleep....I still have other ones to try...

I hope you can be well...it is so depressing to go through this crap....

Namaste- smile

• Posted

Thanks so much for the information, I will try what you suggested, yes I am taking for anxiety, I am also taking ramapril for high bloodpressure! but I think that my anxiety causes me to panic which raises my bp, I hope that they will let me take water tablets and get rid of the bloated feeling all the time, I hope that you manage to concur the bulge as well. Good luck

Thanks

• Posted

Hello!

I read your post about weight gain and "water retention". ...for propranolol I respectfully disagree. Perhaps a very small amount of it is water weight (which would explain the quick 5lbs drop) but I still have 20 extra lbs on me after 2 mths going off!

I feel like propranolol changes your metabolism and also causes digestion/constipation problems. When I was on propranolol it felt like my food wasn't cycling thru the body naturally. The weight gain felt very unnatural -mostly around the middle - but it wasn't all water retention. I don't mind exercise ' but I've never been a big dieter (I eat pretty healthy already)....so this weight gain is awful! Tips for easy weight loss?

Natalie

• Posted

Thank you it's one day at a time..my anxiety levels are quite high at the moment work two smal childrens and having builders at home everyday so it's not been great , however I'm trying to deal with it rolleyes it's hard for my husband to fully understand he does try..but I feel anxiety can be "dismissed" by some as minor ..let me to you it can be crippling as I'm sure you know..but the propranolol weight gain makes the anxiety worse! So for me not a solution..I wish you well x x
    • Posted

Hi Sherry....for someome who has never experienced it, they have no clue..

We all have neurotransmitters that deal differently with every situation...Each of us is unique...

I have been much research, as I have had chronic anxiety/far for 62 yrs... Sadly my daughter is the same..

Pharmecuticals have screwd my brain..Oh to have a place to go and be looked after -approx 4 x months-while I withdraw from medication and then have my brain slowly rework..

I have found the past few days that "inosital" and 'L-theanine' are helping.. I am able to use less sedatives for sleep and am not going 'crazy' when something goes wrong...

Namaste-Ingrid

• Posted

Hello Natalie....

How old are you???????

This last time round on a water retention medication has been much worse for me than 20 yrs ago...... Yes-it feels very unnatural... I too felt 'something' was happening to my system-not working correctly....To suddenly see rolls of flesh hanging etc...especially as I was forcing food down, as I could not stomach it...

With med induced constipation problems I use ascorbic acid-vit c....I mix a tspoon of the powder with a tspoon of bi-carb-soda (baking soda)..It fizzes up into a nice drink... I would need that 5 x times a day to keep me going.....I know another way to move it without using harsh laxatives, if needed...

My doc said it is definitely water as my lower legs were pitting.. after two weeks on water pills the pitting has gone.. I am now waiting for the rest to go...

I know now it will take longer than the 10 days it took 20 yrs ago- oh, age has much to answer for.. :-(  ..

I am also taking 'dandelion leaf cut' tea to help my kidney flush it..

I came to this site as I was considering prop for anxiety...when I saw all the women with 'weight' problems and no change in diet, I knew from experience and research that it is a 'water' thing..No way way I going to use it..

May all be well with you.

Namaste-Ingrid

• Posted

Hi again...

The water pills-Imdapamide-will also lower your blood pressure..

I meant to get straight back to oyu, but have been ill..

To wean off prop... I use the liquid system..

Place a 10mg pill in a bottle..add 10 ml (ounces?) to it...shake well...

Take 5 x ml = 5 mg tablet....do for a week..

Drop to 3 x ml for a week..

Drop to 2  xml for a week..

Drop to 1 x ml for a week..

Buy some L-theanine and inositol..Start using right now while coming off prop.... I use ebay...so cheap and good asssay quality..make sure the site says so, and shows the pack..Buy bulk powder..

I have been using this in very tiny amounts the past few days and it really helps with anxiety....I need it at bedtime-approx 1 x hr before bed...you may need some inositol in the morning as well.....I have researched so much....

Continue using for ever??  I will be..  

At the moment I am using dandelion leaf cut tea, to help my kidney flush..Do you have a small 2  x cup tapot..

Be well.

namaste-Ingrid

• Posted

Hello jingrids, hope you are feeling better? Sorry to hear that you have been ill. Thank you so much for this information. I have an appointment Monday about water tablets, I can't believe that they will reduce BP, that's fab! 2birds, I am slowly reducing propananol, fingers crossed, I went to see GP again few weeks ago and he told me again that weight gain is not a side effect! I'm eating more because I feel better! And I can stop and start Propananol when I want! Thankyou so much.

Hayley

• Posted

Hi Haley...

I am on 2.5 mg Indapamide..at this dose blood pressure 'usually' stays stable..

My doc was going to give me a stronger tablet, but my blood had slightly lowered.. If it goes back to 'normal' she will give me the stronger one, ONLY if my blood prssure does not drop....

Doctors are too quick to dismiss client observation...It is not scientifically proven, is always the answer.. They need to buy into pharmecutical 'reports' that it does no harm...   They have to guard their back...

Indians used willow bark for pain.. The first pharmecutical was asprin from wood bark tree..   'everyone' knew it helped pain...Now, 'experts' will not acept client observation-not scientific..

To market a product that has certain side effects, and not say so, leaves them open to be sued.....So- it does cause water retention....

Just say to the doc- irrespective of views, let us just try and see what happens, by stopping prop and using water retention pills to see if you go back to normal weight..

Just eat a sensible diet..

Why on earth would you want to go on and off the prop..why subject yoursef to that water problem...

Use the inosital and theanine for the anxiety.....you do not need permission to use it...it is just a supp that actually helps..

You have the right to stop the prop..it is your body..

Namaste-Ingrid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.