Propranolol - Beta Blocker

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has used propranolol Beta Blockers?

I've just been prescribed them for my increased anxiety following being back on sertraline.

Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lewis yes I’m on propranolol I’ve been on them for a few years now. 
    • Posted

Well they do help with anxiety. But I was on paroxatine then for 17yrs . But since I’ve swapped to sertraline I don’t which is doing wot? I’m just hoping these sertraline start working for me as I’ve been on 100mgs now for the past 6wks. Do u know how long they take to kick in please 🌹

• Posted

Everyone has said propranolol has worked for them so I might give them a try.

I've just got back from my Gp who said sertraline might take 6 weeks to kick in so maybe if you're not feeling good next week book an appointment to see if you can maybe change SSRIs.

Every tablet works different for everyone, sertraline 50mg worked fine for me for 4 years (in that time I moved out of my parents house on my own, got engaged and changed job with no worries)

Unfortunately I came off them without speaking to my Gp because I thought I was fine but 6 months later I'm struggling again!

So yeah maybe try one more week then ask your Gp to change to something else to see if that works for you!

Hope you feel better soon

Lewis

• Posted

Hi Lewis 

Before I started in Sertraline I tried Propranolol as my anxiety was causing me stomach cramps and everything else ....I couldn’t even eat and I lost a stone in 3 weeks until I took these - I still take it now some days as it’s kerbs the symptoms of anxiety to a degree. It’s doesn’t make you feel better as in less anxious or sort the wondering mind but it will stop most physical symptoms. 

I get migraines as well and they can be good for preventing them. 

• Posted

Yeah I've heard they just relax you which hopefully might help with the anxiety. Still not sure whether to try them.

• Posted

They are not addictive or anything so no harm trying ? I was asking 40mg sometimes 30mg 

Like a previous post, with Sertraline sometimes it’s hard to work out whats what 

• Posted

i have 40mg of them 3 times a day there good for stopping your heart racing sweating etc i quite like them i dont remember any side effects tbh 
  • Posted

Hi, I used these for a couple of months five years ago. If you are having high adrenaline rushes due to panicky anxiety then this stops the adrenalin in its track. It certainly helped me to get through a hell of a few months...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.