Propranolol - Day 2 side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety for a while and after a bad night with chest pains went to see my GP on Tuesday.  I had an examination and ECG and all was clear and  fine.  I think this was a panic attack and I asked my GP to prescribe Propranolol.  I had tried the drug a while ago but I think I was expecting too much and switched to Amitriptyline after a short time but then suffered horrible headaches.  So I asked my GP if I could try Propranolol again and give it more time.

I'm on a low dose 10mg tablets taken up to three times a day.  This is my second day and I'm experiencing what I think are side effects from P.  My chest feels tight, not so tight that I can't breath but a heaviness that extends up into my throat and feels tight when swallowing.  This comes on within 1 hour of taking the tablet.  To complicate matters I do suffer from Acid Reflux but I usually get a bitter acid taste when that strikes. I am taking 30mg of Lansoprazole per day but cannot see any recorded interactions.   I can only put this down to the Propranolol.  

Has anyone else suffered similar side effects?  I think I will make another appointment to see my GP but am wary of stopping taking the meds even though it's early days.  I can't recall suffering similar side effects the last time though.  Is it possible the side effects will settle down?  Assuming it is P causing them.   Any advice or shared experiences welcome on my first ever post.  Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've only just started using propranolol about a week ago, the same dosage that you've been prescribed. I started taking 2 a day, but have cut down to 1 a day, as I was worried my blood pressure would go too low. I suffer anxiety and have been worried about ectopics and flutterings over the last few months, which were making me more stressed. I have noticed the flutterings have calmed since taking them, so I'm  pleased about that, also my mood seems lighter. I haven't had any other side effects, but it is early days yet. I don't take any other medication. If your worried about continuing with the them, maybe ring your GP for advice. I think you need to take them for about a week at least until your body adjusts to them, the side effects may calm down. Not sure this is any help to you, wishing you the best.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  It seems very hit and miss - some days I take P and it helps as I certainly feel better and other days it has no effect at all.  I think the chest tightness and thriat is actually my acid reflux.  I was told that I could take P 'as and when'.  I read the instructions and the recommended dosage for anxiety is given as 40mg.  My prescription is 10mg up to three times a day.  I am returning to see my GP this week and will discuss my dosage.

• Posted

A couple of days ago I felt quite good, so decided not to take any, but today I decided to take one as my symptoms were coming back, felt dizzy and my blood pressure was higher than I wanted it to be. My dosage is the same as yours, up to 3 times a day. I don't really like taking them, but I need to give them a chance to see if they work, so will take one or two every day and see how I feel, as my anxiety was really bad today. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.