Propranolol for headaches

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all,

Has anyone had success with propranolol for chronic migraine, tension type headaches? I would love to hear your stories. I have just been prescribed this for my ongoing headaches that I have had for the past 4 months. I was prescribed 10mgs twice a day and am suppose to go up to 20mgs twice a day after two weeks.

Has anyone one had success with propranolol? If so, what dose are you on?

Like many of us, I hate having to take medication but can no longer bare the 24/7 headaches I have had for the past 4 months. Any advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ace444, I am experiencing the same problem. Headache continuous from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. What did you end up trying? and what ended up working or you? I have tried the muscle relaxer..didn't work. I tried the propranolol...didnt work. Haven't tried nortriptyline.. I would so appreciate any feedback you have on what you have tried and what you haven't. 

• Posted

Hi, Ive had the same thing on and off over the years. Tried everything from tablets to every holistic treatment and diet.  However I'm finally in day 8 of that headache gone, it's usually with me the moment I wake up all day, and nothing relives it.  I take 80mg of propranolol a day and 20mg of amitriptyline at night,,,,was still getting the headaches (but I also suffer severe migraines weekly too yuk).  Diet has never showed to be a trigger but, I stripped all food and drink from my diet 10 weeks ago and inky eat a ketogenic diet (research it its mind blowing, I also read the migraine miracle where the author is a neurologist but suffers horrific migraine too).  Following the diet along with reading his book etc has pushed me to come off all painkillers....I did that a few weeks ago.  I honestly think the diet along with coming out if rebound headache us what's taken that headache away.  Hope this helps x

• Posted

I am on 10 mgs for 3 months now. Started this month. My headaches has came back. They are bad headaches. Sometimes I may have 2 or 3 bad headaches a day . but I am going call my doctor tomorrow. And see what he can do. Because when these headaches get really bad. All I want to do is sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.