Propranolol making me feel terriable

Posted , 2 users are following.

Propranolol making me feel terrible

Hello all so I have a few questions in regards to propranolol. I have been taking propranolol 3x a week for 4 years at 20mg for each morning I go to work. I take it for social anxiety and panic attacks that I would have without them in the mornings I go to work and have meetings. At first it did wonders for me and the only side effects were my concentration was a bit down but I was relaxed and in no way anxious. As of the last two months the drug has really been wearing me down and I have been having really bad side effects such as shortness of breath, my body is tense, I feel like I’m about to cry and I can’t concentrate on a single thing and I am in no way relaxed as I was before. Honestly I am way more anxious on them but I don’t have a panic attack or go red in the face but just feel like a zombie on them now. I went to the doctor about this and I was persistent about changing to something else but all they said was it’s the safest drug out of them all and the best way to approach it was to lower down to 10mg that has done nothing and the side effects are at the same level of intensity. On some days the side effects won’t be that bad maybe 10% of the time but the other 90% I feel like the whole world is collapsing on me. Has anyone experienced this? I have tried many ways in taking it and can’t find a way to lessen the side effects or know how. I.e taking before breakfast , taking after breakfast none makes a difference. Is it possible taking it as soon as I wake up isn’t good for me? Also isn’t the shortness of breath symptom something to worry about ?

0 likes, 1 reply

Report / Delete

1 Reply

  • Posted

    Just prescribed and getting ready to start trying Propranolol... for anxiety based on PTSD... sorry for and disturbed with your issues with it...

    My Doc prescribed 10mg, to be taken once or twice AS NEEDED... you might ask your Doc is that would be a better approach... I wonder if you have grown too "acclimated" to the drug... so its effects are muted now??? Many people take up to 40mg, twice a day... an alternative is Prazosin... maybe a switch? Also, some are helped by Wellbutrin.

    GL to you!

    Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up