propranolol side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi people someone please help I'm on second day of taking these tablets I've got burning cheeks diarrhea feeling sick is this normal please help feel so low and at my wits end😭😭😭😭

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't think this is normal, I have been on propranolol for two years and haven't noticed any side effects at all. I haven't seen a lot posted on this forum, either.  Is it possible that you have a 'bug'?  Maybe nothing to do with the propranolol.  Either way, would suggest you see your GP asap and ask advice.  Propranolol is one of the best tolerated and gentle beta blockers, so don't put up with any uncomfortable symptoms, just get checked out,
    • Posted

Thanx pam but it does say common side effects are dyorea and nausea
  • Posted

Hiya kaz, the side effects you mention I have suffered with but I would suggest the burning cheeks are down to the tablets but the diarrhea and feeling sick I would say is anxiety. I experienced everything you are going through too. All the symptoms passed and the anxiety went for me about day four.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Alison thanx for reply I hope it's same for me this is what caused my anxiety in the first place health problems just want to be me again😣
    • Posted

God I know that feeling. And you will be you again. I would say that I have felt like me again over the past four days. Propranolol really helps to get over the continued anxiety. It gives your mind and body a break from the mental and physical stress and gives you time to put in place changes to reduce what triggers you off. I've changed loads in my life. Big things and little things over the last two weeks. Take the propranolol at regular intervals for the first two weeks, get feeling calm around the clock and reassess the situation then. I had a muzzle head, cold feet and burning cheeks whilst I took them at first but it was far far better than the anxiety. Keep messaging people here too. I found that really really helped me.
    • Posted

I've got a woolly head too but your right it does help my cheeks and tongue hurt too but I'm waiting to go to dental hospital to see if it's burning mouth syndrome it's doing my head in I've had anxiety for 3 months now off work not eating just can't be asked but alls I want is to get back to been me alison
    • Posted

Kaz, I was exactly the same. Anxiety for three months then straight after christmas I was sent home poorly and didnt go back. I got a months sick note. Im a secondary school teacher and never had a sick note before. This time two weeks ago I was convinced that I was going to get poorlier and poorlier. I am a mother of 5 sons and I had moved into my mums leaving my kids with my partner at our family home. I too couldnt be bothered to eat, everytime I did I felt more sick. My mum forced me to eat a few mouth fulls three times a day while I juggled with the tablets and getting them right,it was truely awful. Whats your home situation?Is there someone who can make you some food? Believe me Kaz things will improve. I took things as easy as possible. Other people decided what was for tea and cooked it and tidied up after. The tablets really helped. I took 10mg three times a day....then went to four a day, every four hours then for the last three days nothing. After my GP suggested instead of taking them continually I should take them as and when, when i feel anxious I felt calm enough to see if my anxiety was still there by not taking any. It wasnt! Im still off work and havnt had any tablets for 3-4 days. I am due to start my new job in a few weeks. ( this was one of my changes, as my anxiety stemmed from work.) My GP has also put me in touch with MIND and im waiting for an appointment. Why not self reffer as I have done? It can only help. They are anxiety experts and listen and offer practical advice. Even if I feel perfect like I do now when the appointment comes through I am still gonna go. I think its about reajusting your thoughts etc.  What can you do to help relieve your triggers? I put together a timetable of all things, what we are having for tea, when the kids school culbs are, chores in the house to be done. As simple as this sounds this helpedme massivly as I instantly felt more in control. What things can you do?

Ali xxx

• Posted

I have a partner he sometimes cooks and a 16yr old but most of the time they just sort themselves out I'm going bk to docters next week to see about councilling I've been off work 5 wks alison I work in retail but I can't go bk till I'm 110% as I don't want the anxiety back I'm feeling OK at the moment I'm on 40mg 3 times a day and this is only my second day just want to feel like me again I've nva suffered with anxiety in my life
    • Posted

Anxiety is our bodies way of forcing you to take a break and forcing you to adjust your life to make it less stressful. When we stress our bodies produce adreneline. Adreneline makes our hearts beat faster giving us the horrid symptoms we call anxiety. Staying in a stressful situation for too long, which we both have done, means our bodies get used to making lots of adreneline. So much so that even little things ,like for me , deciding what to have for tea was making a flood of adreneline come into my system and so anxiety symptoms. Propranolol stops this from happening. Its a tempory measure. What I mean by that is once your body gets used to producung less adreniline then less adreneline will be produced! its about retraining your system. That is why you will not be on these tablets for ages. They will work, your body will stop producing too much adreniline then you will have reset your system making adreneline levels be 'normal' when you stop taking them. So normal day to day stuff will not trigger an anxiety attack.Its just about getting the dose right and the length of time you need to take them. Its different for everyone. I think I will always have them in my bag when im going about my daily routine but strictly as an as and when tablet. You should take them as the doctor prescribes for now till you are calm all the time then see about reducing the dose once you are level. You WILL get back to normal. Its just you have been in a stressed out situation for too long so now you need to change that and allow your body to relax. It takes time. The tablets are a part of it, but not all of it. Time is needed , make small changes. I may not have explained this the best way. But if you look at other threads I have replied to another lady explaining the same thing. see if you can find it.

Ali xx

• Posted

I've just been out Ali but the biggest problem I'm having at the moment is food I had scrambled egg and toast this morning now I've got crippling stomach ache I Evan hate the smell of food which I used to love I had really bad dioreah this morning sorry docter said take the tablets as and when but don't want to take too many cause I've got stomach ache it's making me feel sick😝
    • Posted

When we are in panic mode our appitite is the first to go and if you have not eaten correctly for some time then your stomach will be in over drive when you do put food in there. I caried round a perminant tin of rice pudding as it was the only thing I could swallow for about two weeks. Eating it made me feel sick too. But the symptoms of hunger added to my anxiety, it was a viscous circle. I remember thinking dont stop the spoon moving till all the bowl is gone. I would then take a tablet. The leaflet says take before food. I made myself stick to this by putting myself at my mums who watched me eat then take a tablet.All this time I had diarrhea. It was down to my anxiety. So your doctor said as and when? Did your doctor give you 40mg tablets?  It does seem a lot to me, but im not your doctor. Are you better today, than yesterday? Are you calmer? Did you have diarrhea and stomach cramps before the tablets? I had bad stomach cramps, diarrhea and the worst nausea ever before taking the tablets and for about a week of taking them, then all the symptoms went.
    • Posted

I suffer with ibs Ali but I've not eaten right for over 7wks now just lived on cereal most of the time I had dioreah as I said this morning I do feel better today than yesterday I've got pain inbetween my shoulders and headache sickness int too bad I've had pain under my boobs for a couple of days but doc said it's due to the anxiety and ye Ali he said as and when I've had 3 tablets today but it's so helping talking with you thanx ever so much 😊
    • Posted

Come on girl... You cant live on cereal!, I'm going out to visit my mum for an hour. When I get back I will be asking you what you are planning to eat for tea! And your symptoms are classic anxiety, pain in the shoulders, and under the boobs. I've had them too. It's because whether you realise it or not you will be tense almost all the time. I used to long for bedtime as I knew it the only time I felt relaxed when I was asleep. You and me will get you better. It helps me too to type to you. See you in about an hour. Remember I want tk know what you are eating for tea! Ali x Xxxxx
    • Posted

Not sure I'm struggling at the moment sore inside my cheeks pain in shoulders help me 😣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.