Propranolol & SSRI medicine

Posted , 7 users are following.

My Doctors has offered me Propranolol and SSRIs antidepressants. I've heard that ssris are good, but I'm a little worried about Propranolol as I have health concerns over my heart.

I suffer from a lot of physical symptoms of Anxiety, but every couple of months I'll randomly get heart palpitations or skipped beats. I've had tests done and apparently everything is fine, but I can't understand why it doesn't happen when I'm upset or scared, it will just come out of nowhere every few months and last for up to a week when otherwise I feel fine.

I'm scared that it will change my heart or give me a heart attack or something similar. I want to know about other's experiances on Propanolol and if it helped. I don't have constant palpitations so is it worth taking?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,I too get palpitations but not with all my anxieties 

I found beta blockers affective but did make my

Asthma slightly worse when exercising ,my gp

Told me to give them a go they can't hurt

• Posted

I get palpitations a lot it can be caused by too much caffeine
  • Posted

All propranolol do is slow your heart to an even but calm pace. Yes taking too much can be dangerous but if you take what you're prescribed you will be fine. Just no strenuous exercise or excessive alcohol you'll be right as rain.

I've been on 80mg slow release for 3 months now and plan on being on it a lot longer as I suffer with panic and anxiety disorders, not about my health but other things and I've never taken medication for it before, I'm also on venlafaxine 150mg slow release, an antidepressant, and they work really well together, I've not had a panic attack since I started taking propranolol so that just proves how well it works.

Give it a try on a low dose, if you don't like it you can easily come off it, its when you up the dose that you need to be weaned off of it as if you suddenly stop taking it on a higher dose you can get heart palpitations or racing heart beat, basic side effects.

You'll never know until you try.

best wishes

Danielle x

• Posted

Hi there. I took Propananol (Half Inderal LA) for years because i had palpitations on and off. They really helped me and i had no bad side effects. I suggest u give them a go and see how u are with them . GOOD LUCK x

• Posted

Hi propranolol is great and is designed to slow do e your heart rate, which helps with my constant fast heart rate, beta blockers are designed for people with high blood pressure and irregular heart beats, I highly doubt there is any chance taking this medicine will give you a heart attack, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, btw what dose are you on?
  • Posted

I was prescribed propranolol for performance anxiety by a doctor, but decided not to take them, I later learnt, from another doctor, that they should not have been prescribed to me as I have a very low resting heart rate(in the 40's) and slowing the heart rate down further could have been dangerous. Nowday doctors prescribe a whole range of drugs at the drop of a hat. I would always do my research now before taking anything a doctor gave me

Propranolol does seem to be the all rounder, helping with depression, palpatations and performance anxiety, so definitely worth try(so long as you do not have a very slow resting heartbeat)

• Posted

I’m taking propranolol 10 mg and I have heart problem for 14 yrs now.  It’s really help me a lot specially when I get anxiety my high blood pressure went up and this pills help me a lot. I toke it anytime in the day when I need it and even 4 times a day when I need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.