propranolol upset sleep side effect

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I have just been prescribed Propranolol to help with anxiety when carrying out presentations at work.  I took 40mg and 2hours later it went very well. However that night my sleep was extremely badly upset. Soooo disappointed. I was hoping to take propranolol as and when but the consensus seems to be that it should be taken daily to minimize bad sleep side effects. GP not really giving clear advice though she has prescribed 3 per day (which I am reluctant to take). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jimbo, firstly how brave public speaking........couldn't do it, so very well done. I'm prescribed prop for migraine, just started new one and they did disturb my sleep for about 3 days, after that all ok. How about taking sleepeze or something equally light, after taking them to help you.....good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi I take propanolol for migraine prevention. I take 80 mgs modified release a day. I take them after breakfast, they don't affect my sleep. Maybe it was the adrenalin from your presentation that kept you awake ? 
  • Posted

Hi, what is your sleep routine like? Because it might not just he the drug causing you not to sleep very well.  Although when i was on propanalol i had a few days when i first started taking it when i couldnt sleep.  What time are you taking the drug?? As with this drug it goes in and out of your system very quickly.  X
    • Posted

Hi Olivia. Thanks for your reply. I took the 40mg tab at 11am. Went to sleep at 11pm but woke 3 hours later and stayed awake. It was weird. Head kind of buzzing. Normally sleep quite well. That was just over a week ago. As a trial l have taken 20mg this morning at 11am. Hopefully I will be ok tonight.
  • Posted

Hi Jimbo -

I take 20 mg at bedtime each night to avoid waking up with a migraine.  I have occasionally taken another 20 mg tablet during the day if I have something very stressful to do.  So far I have not been kept awake, but have had some pretty vivid dreams, etc.  Either way, this med works great for my needs so I will keep taking it.  Maybe 40 mg is a bit too strong?  I hope you can keep trying and that this drug proves to be beneficial for you.

• Posted

Hi Nancy. Do you mind me asking, did you have sleep issues as a result of taking propranolol at the beginning and your sleep became ok, or did P never affect your sleep ? Thanks.
    • Posted

I had trouble sleeping for many years; before the Prop.  After I began to take it, my insomnia went away, however I was having a lot of really vivid dreams and it was hard to get used to.  After a few weeks, the dreams stopped and now I do fine - no insomnia - no vivid dreams - no migraines - and no anxiety!  For me it has been a good medication.

• Posted

I had trouble sleeping for many years; before the Prop.  After I began to take it, my insomnia went away, however I was having a lot of really vivid dreams and it was hard to get used to.  After a few weeks, the dreams stopped and now I do fine - no insomnia - no vivid dreams - no migraines - and no anxiety!  For me it has been a good medication.

• Posted

Hi Jimbo I take propranolol for the exact same reason you do and it keeps me awake I also have a bad headache I know others take ''tis to prevent headaches, strange how it affects each of us differently. Have you managed to find anything to help with the sleep when takin this?

Mona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.