Propranolol weak dizzy sweats

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just taken 20mg propranolol. about an hour later came over all weak and dizzy with hot sweats.

Feel weird.

Any one else had this

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Is it the first time you have taken it?
    • Posted

First time I've taken 20mg all at once.

Been taking 10mg 4x day since 28/8/15.

Was on slow release Inderal 80mgs for 8 years before they stopped making it and was fine.

Couldn't tolerate the change to beta-prograine

• Posted

Sounds like your body is just adjusting to the change. It happened to me when I changed dosages. With me it took about two weeks to settle.
    • Posted

It was awful. Put me straight into panic mode when it started up.

Sweating. Shaking, felt weak and wobbly. Very scared.

Can't take that dose. Too much to cope with it.

Im on my own. Was used to the 80mg slow release Inderal.

Don't know what else to do.

Was taking Inderal for 8 years for migraines.

Stopped abruptly when it ceased being made.

Horrendous withdrawals. After 16 weeks Dr decided to put me on 20mgs 3 times a day but I took 10mg 4 x day. But then thought I'd better try the 20mg.

Now I don't know what to do

• Posted

Hello rosemary66682,

I had exactly similay experience when I first took proprnolol. 20mg is quite a small dosage, but still may be you can break it into 10mg twice. If it still dosent work, then its better to consult your doctor.

• Posted

As I said I've been taking 10mg 4 x day instead of the prescribed 20mg 3 x day. But thought I'd best try the 20mg dose as might help take away the physical anxiety type feelings I've been getting since stopping abruptly the 80mg slow release Inderal.

This 20mg dose made me feel like I was full of adrenaline.

So did you feel as bad as how I described it.

Thank you

• Posted

I was prescribed 20 x three times daily and like you chose to only take three daily amounts of 10 mg. I don't like taking medication especially long term. My side effects were so bad I didn't increase to the 20 ml and I found that the 3 x 10 ml helped my anxiety, palps and headaches.
    • Posted

Sorry I did mean mg. I think you should take it just three times daily like you have been prescribed then it's half the amount of your dosage. If you are taking four times daily that's 40 mg and then you've added another 10 mgwhich may be too much for you

Is the pro actually helping your migraines?

Isn't there a slow release pro?

• Posted

Hi Jennifer.

I was prescribed 20mg 3 x day total 60mg but took 10mg 4 x day. Total 40 mg. I saw Dr ladt week and he asked if I was taking 20mg 3 times day so I told him NO taking 10mg 4 times a day.

Yesterday I thought maybe I'd better try his 20mg dose..... But it was horrendous.

As I said in one if my posts above I had been taking SLOW RELEASE INDERAL 80MG fir 8 years for migraines. When it stopped being made I was trued on three others but ended up having to call 111 as the effects were sooo different to the Inderal.

I've had terrible withdrawal anxiety ( never had anxiety before) affecting my body. Cold chills clammy sweats hot flushes. My arms and legs go numb.

After 14 weeks of suffering bad my gp decided on the 20mg dose.

I think I've explained the rest.

I do also have thyroid problem and struggling to get my levels right

• Posted

How were you feeling before you decided to take the 20? Was your body coping with it? I stayed on the 3 x 10 mg for many months until I had totally settled with it and side effects had gone.

But now you know that others have experienced the same. If you are worried or feel too ill to up the dosage leave it. Or at least until you have sorted out your thyroid. Are you also on meds for that? I found out I had an under active thyroid 6 weeks ago and started levo. When I saw my doc 8 weeks ago she asked if I had started the prescribed levo. I said no because I was still having severe side effects from prop and didn't want to be feeling more off with another new med. she said oh it won't matter. I said I knew my body and would rather wait till I settled with the prop first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.