propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 106 users are following.

As anybody experienced any withdrawal symptoms when withdrawing from small doses?

5 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Yeah for a few days.i had dizziness, nausea, a heavy chest and 'brain fog'
    • Posted

Yes i did but it went away after a few days.  How long have you been taking it for?
    • Posted

Ive been taking up to 40 mg for approx 3 months.... I am having intense vivid dreams and feeling quite panicky/anxious but derealisation too.Just wondered whether it was common withdrawal
    • Edited

I had bad derealisation too.  It was awful but rest assured it goes away. I was on it for 9 months 40mg per day x
    • Posted

It took me 2 weeks but now i feel normal and i havent taken it in  2 months x
    • Posted

How long did the derealisation last? It fightens me and causes anxiety!
    • Posted

I remember having them the whole time, kind of a side effect, I guess. It's been 6 years, so ...
    • Posted

I had previously posted that I found a magnesium/calcium supplement to be helpful for anxiety issues, but it was deleted by the moderator (maybe because I used a brand name? Dunno, as I wasn't promoting a website, nor do I sell it) Women under significant stress tend to be magnesium deficient. Anyway, the magnesium helps with stress, and sleep is much better. Like I said in the original post, it's best to research the most bio-available kinds.

Also, I found that reducing sugar intake was helpful with anxiety issues.

• Posted

I know its horrid.  I used to come home crying to my boyfriend about it and mine lasted  2 weeks and then the 2 weeks after that it leveled out Into a light headed feeling but that soon went away.   I did take it for 9 months though.  Glad i am off it now.  What helped me was running.   it used to create a lot of anxiety as the feeling of derealisation is horrible. X
    • Posted

Hey Olivia, I know it's been a while, but did experience your heart pounding when you first stopped Propranolol? Like when you stood up or moved around too much? I quit last week and am experiencing a lot of side effects - just wanted some reassurance that it would go away! Thanks 😃

• Edited

Hi there! I think I might have exact similar symptoms with yours. I feel like having faster heartbeats and sometimes stabbing chest pains that lasts maybe less than a minute usually at the left side after a physical activity. I know it's weird but I also feel my heart racing sometimes after I have meals even if their just small. I'm also having dizziness and nausea. In addition to those my stomach usually feel uncomfortable. I'm kinda hesitating getting checked because I'm afraid I have to take meds again just to feel worse. I was supposed to take it for a month but the side effects are really making me very miserable and anxious. I took it for I think more than two weeks and had a dosage of 10mg twice a day for my palpitations. It's been a week since I stopped. I just really want these to go away as soon as possible and I hope yours will do too. If you have more questions feel free to ask me. 😊

• Posted

hi ailapls, how are you feeling now?

i have been taking 3x10mg for a 4 weeks now and have had terrible side effects. Extreme anxiety, breathing problems, waves of weird physical feelings, insomnia and terrible nightmares when i do sleep. dizzy and confused during the day, i feel like im constantly suppressing a panic attack. its exhausting, and making me miserable. because i was given them to help with anxiety, but its made things so much worse. ive spoken to pharmacist, who said to drop 10mg per week until im off them, but im expecting the worst with withdrawals. did you find that the symptoms have started to ease a bit??

• Edited

Hey, sorry you are feeling this. It's like a nightmare but it will get better as you taper off the meds. They just weren't right for you. But you have to taper off, it's better for your heart. And the symptoms will stop. Is there maybe another way to control your anxiety? Diet or lifestyle changes? Do you exercise every day? I know all this is harder than popping a pill but in the long run it could be a much better way to control your anxiety and keep healthy and feeling good.

all those symptoms you have, i have had. I was quitting smoking cold turkey and thought the propranolol would help with the panic attacks i had been having. but everything got worse. it's been a little over a year for me, off propranolol and drug free and i'm finally feeling great! but i have made alot of changes too.

message anytime.

• Posted

hi I have the same after food for a month now omggg you are the only person saying that everybody keeps telling me I am crazy how long did it last for you mine started a week after stopping so weird I was on it for 3 and a half years it started to give me opposite reactions to what it should do for two months in a row I was suffering now I had to quit I am having some symptoms that I never knew that I would ever have i cry all the time about this

• Posted

hi olivia just wondering if you can describe you derealisation symptoms?

i was on propranolol for 2 years came off icer a few months currently stuck at 5mg

cant get in a care i have disorientation derealisation and cunfusion

cant get out of bed

i feel like i cant do another day in this hell

any advice would be much appreciated

• Posted

How long did the high heart rate last? Took last very small dose 9 days ago.

• Posted

I was taking the same dosage for the same reason and i an having the same exact side effects as you coming off because I have horrible side effects on it after a few weeks.. it really sucks.

• Posted

Hi, please how long does it take for the withdrawal symptoms to stop. I stopped cold turkey last week because my blood pressure was really getting low but i have been feeling extremely dizzy and my body has been heavy. i can hardly work long distances. i was on propranolol for 3 months. I also feel breathless

• Posted

Hi, i noticed you said you quit cold turkey and the symptoms got worse. What did you do to get better? Did you go back to propranolol after you quit cold turkey? I quit cold turkey seven days ago from 40 Mg because my blood pressure was getting really low. I feel worse, i feel breathless, my body feels heavy and dizzy. I can hardly get out of bed. please help me, I really need to get this drug out of my system. Thank you

• Posted

H salvation, i know your post is four months old but I have similar symptoms as you had. May I ask how you are and how long it took for symptoms to go? Very worried right now. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.