Propranolol Withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, I've been having a terrible experience coming off propranolol that I wanted to share.

I properly came off Propranolol 30th December 2020 due to severe side effects that were unbearably tormenting to deal with and I decided the only way to have this go away was to come off the medication. Once I withdrew, the withdrawals were torturous to the point where I felt completely and utterly suicidal. The withdrawals I experienced were extreme EXTREME anxiety, inability to concentrate on uni work, depersonalisation, as if the world were a dream and feeling disconnected from my past memories. Also, I failed an entire module at university as a result of these withdrawals because I simply couldn't concentrate on ANYTHING. The first month was the absolute worst, that is the whole of January. February was tormenting as well, but compared to January it has settled. March and April weren't great as well, though significantly better compared to January that's for sure, I could at least concentrate on my uni work. However, the problem I'm having is that now it's 16th May and I still feel these propranolol withdrawals. I am definitely for sure feeling much much more back to normal, but I still feel the effects of the propranolol withdrawals to this day. What I was wondering was, when will this fully go away? Are there any people here who have taken this long to withdraw from propranolol? Also, I know with rock solid certainty that is not just "aNxIeTy", which the doctors have brushed it off as. I can still feel these withdrawals in my body. Will this go away? Will I be back to my complete normal self? I just don't want to feel these horrible effects from the medication permanently, which I know I likely won't, but there's just so much doubt within me. Any answers would be appreciated.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

wow same here but im going through tramadol withdrawal . what are your symptoms ?

• Posted

These days I just generally feel fatigued, out of energy, unable to think clearly and unable to enjoy life fully like I used to.

• Edited

have you recovered?

• Posted

Kind of, I find my brain fog is no longer present and I am enjoying life to a much higher degree. The only thing is I still find the Propranolol is messing with my psychological state even to this day in spite of the fact that I stopped taking Propranolol routinely 7 months ago, which is weird considering most people's withdrawals completely disappear much sooner, but it's certainly getting better.

I want to know, how far have you come with your recovery process?

• Edited

I've been off for 2 months after having taken for 2 years and am still feeling terrible -- dizzy, anxious, tired....makes it very hard to work. At times I get low blood sugar feelings and food makes it go away but the funny thing is my blood sugar is never actually low. My endo said it can take 3-6 months for the body to reset after fully stopping.

• Edited

Alic, did you ever have issues to where if you exerted yourself (exercise, etc.) for a day, the next day you would feel completely terrible? Anxiety, no energy, just want to lay in bed, can't function, shaky, and very hungry. My blood sugars are fine, I don't know what gives but this has happened a few times now the day after I exercise. And I'm not pushing myself any harder than I did before getting off propranolol.

• Posted

Definitely yes! I find myself experiencing this issue even today. In fact, today was a prime example. I woke up feeling very anxious and easily agitated and I had absolutely no energy whatsoever. For some reason, normal exercise for me does seem in a sense harder than before, which is strange. Anyway, I've been experiencing these withdrawals for about 8 months now; it's much much milder, don't get me wrong, but I still experience them to this day and I mean, is this normal?

• Edited

Hi...how are you doing now? Do you mind sharing what your dosage was and how long you were on it? I took it for a weak, stopped almost 3 weeks ago, but still have symptoms. Extreme anxiety out of the blue, fatigue, slight nausea, and feeling drugged and week...oh and like my body is vibrating. Seems like I wasn't on it long enough to have issues like this, but I was fine before I started the propanolol.

• Posted

Was a long time ago now that I stopped taking them, but I was prescribed 10mg 3 times a day and altogether I was on it for just under a year. I had withdrawals but they do dissipate with time..

• Posted

hi can I ask if you tapered off propranolol or did you just suddenly stop taking it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.