Propranolol Withdrawal Hell

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was on 10mg 3 times a day for a month and I quit cold turkey due to side effects. I am now experiencing a rapid heart rate, diaphragm spasms (which is triggered by laying on my left side), heart racing when turning over in bed or doing any activity such as walking up the stairs or showering. I also experience constant panic attacks, pins and needles in hands and legs as well as a host of other muscle spasms and symptoms. Has anyone else experienced the same, especially the diaphragm spasms as it is affecting my breathing? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Anna, Ive absoluteley experienced all those things during withdrawal, and honestly it is horrible. Am sorry that people get put on this stuff blindly. Things are getting better for me, though, i'm still experiencing high heart rate (Ive only been withdrawing for a couple of weeks). If you think you can power through, do it, but it was hard for me, and I did take a very small dose of propranolol on occasion to try make it more bearable...if it puts your mind at ease, I even went to hospital for week, but despite the heart rate, that was concerning, was found to be generally in good health...There is alot of information on this forum about people that have successfully recovered from withdrawal and the symptoms they experience, but by all means do get checked out if you're at all worried.

• Posted

do/did you get diaphragm spasms? I feel like I can't breathe

• Posted

Yeah 100%, That was the first place I got any twitching and spasms, for some reason. I originally went to the dr specifically for it, I later got spasms and internal tremors in other places, but theyre slowly becoming less frequent.

• Posted

me too. what dose did you take and for how long? when did the spasms start to subside?

• Posted

I originally took 40mg for 2 weeks followed by me trying to wean off it due to the negative side effects I was experiencing. I came off completely after about a month, but it was honestly very difficult. After a couple of weeks of bei g completely off I noticed the twitching subsiding. Hasn't gone completely, but am definitely a lot more optimistic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.