Propranolol withdrawal symptoms, tiredness and vivid dreams

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been taking 80mg of propranolol daily (20mg in the morning, 20mg after lunch, and 40mg after dinner) for 8 months to manage the physical symptoms of anxiety. As my anxiety improved through therapy, my GP and I decided to gradually reduce the propranolol. In the first week, we decreased the dinner dose to 20mg, followed by 10mg after another week. I'm scheduled to eliminate the dinner dose on February 22nd. However, I've been experiencing extreme physical tiredness, sleeping 9 hours at night and an additional 3 hours during the day, along with vivid dreams. Although I discussed this with my GP, he doesn't believe it's related to propranolol. I suspect otherwise, considering these symptoms emerged during the tapering process. Any advice? Should I consider extending the reduction period to every 2 weeks instead of every 1 week?

Despite taking magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B12 to address tiredness, there hasn't been much improvement. Are there any other supplements I could try for fatigue?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Your vivid dreams are coming from the beta blocker. The tapering should be done at a very slow pace and extended over a longer period of time if needed. Every time you taper wait until your body completely adjusts to that taper before going to the next taper. I have done it cold turkey and it has been the 2 most hellacious months of my life and I am still not well yet. My doctor failed me and was of no support and told me I could cold turkey. Doctors never admit the withdrawal from these poison drugs are real. They always say "it should be gone by now". They just don't know or understand. Or just pull out their catch all "anxiety card". Had a doctor tell me that. I have never had anxiety in my life. They just refuse to believe its from the beta blocker because most people don't have bad withdrawal when coming off beta blockers. , They assume those of us that are very sensitive to coming off beta blockers just have anxiety and that can't be right. You will find by reading these threads here and other places online that beta blocker withdrawal is real and horrific. Take your time weaning off and go very slow. Even when your done weaning, you will still have some withdrawal but it will be much milder and you will recover much sooner. The key is letting your body adjust to the taper one reduction at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.